AEP Buckeye trail

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by pastorchris, May 27, 2008.

1. Hey guys!

Been tubing for a couple of years and have been wanting to check out the buckeye trail. Any and all info would be wonderful. Things like best place to start, which way to go, etc......not looking for any secret locations or anything, but if you're in a giving mood, that would be okay with me. We only catch and release, so youre secrets are safe with me.

Thanks in advance

Blessings !!

2. gf319804

gf319804 The Ohio Outdoors

I'll be keeping an eye on this post becaue I too have been wanting to venture across the buckeye trail. Just don't know many people as dedicated as me with the same work schedule I have. Wouldn't want to venture out across there by myself.

3. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I've done it a few times by starting at campground H and hiking either north or south on the trail. You can hit about the same amount of water either way. I have had some decent fishing doing this, but it is a lot of effort. Many of the spots are hard to find or are down steep inclines with heavy vegetation (including poison ivy and thorns). I've even brought a rope to help me get in and out of some ponds and beaver dams. A lot of the ponds are weedy and not as clear as some of the main lakes, but they still hold fish.

It hasn't been worth the effort that I've put into it, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I started with could do better. My major problem is that my job doesn't allow me to get down there until at least the middle of June and the lakes are starting to weed up and fill with algae already. If you're going to do it, do it now.

And you are wise not to do it by yourself. I've done it, but there is plenty that could go wrong if you get too adventurous. If you do it, be sure to tell someone which direction you went on the trail and when to expect you back. You won't get any cell phone coverage down in those ravines.

4. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

Great advice there s'stalker. I too have been up and down the treail and it is an adventure. If you have the time and patience, it would be best to walk it just to spot water and accessability. There is a nice high wall pond just off the trail where it leaves the county road between Windy Hill and Rt. 78. The trail is well marked there. Good Luck.

5. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

I'm with sgofish. Start at H. Take the path that goes away from H. Theres one about 10min. back and theres a real nice one about 25min. walk back. good luck

6. SGOFISh, could you be a little more specific? I know where Windy Hill is and 78, but what county road are you talking about? Is it the one that brings you up right at Windy Hill? If so, if youre facing Windy hill is the path on the right or left? A little clearer directions would be great if you dont mind.

Also Fishjunky, I guess I would ask the same about your post as well.

Thanks

7. Its me again, I guess my question to you both is would you go towards Reinersville or away from it to find the ponds you guys are talking about. In your opinion(s) in which direction are the better ponds found?

Blessings

8. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

Here you go. Approaching Windy Hill from campsite D, the county road only goes one direction, to the right. It is rather hilly and curvy, what road there isn't. Pass the cemetary on the right, the former campsite N on the left, cross the haul road, pass campsite H on the right, start up the hill. There will be a trail head well marked with a posted sign on the left. Here is where you want to begin your trek. If you get to the bottom of the hill and the stop sign,you missed it. I know you will enjoy the fishing in this pond, we always have.