close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AEP bass spawn?

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by gf319804, May 29, 2007.

1. gf319804

gf319804 The Ohio Outdoors

Are the bass on the beds yet at aep? Any info? Thinking about making a trip up there for the weekend. Was up there about 3 weeks ago and the bass were cruising a lot, but no beds then.

2. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

First off, I have NOT been to AEP yet.... so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the other replys on this forum. Hopefully my first trip will be in 2-3 weeks.

Anyways.... I would tend to say that Yes, the Bass are PROBABLY on their beds. I am basing this on the fact that a comparable (in size, location, type) body of water that I fished this past weekend had TONS of bedding Bass. However, I could definitely be wrong about AEP. But, if you use a Texas Rigged Zoom Finesse Worm with a 1/32 - 1/16 oz weight about 6" from the worm... you should be able to get them no matter what stage they're in. I've been using them in Pumpkin and Red Bug and have had almost non-stop action. I cast them out, let them free fall... slow gradual pull up about 2'... then let it fall back down while reeling in the slack. Pause for a while, repeat. Occasionally throw in a jerk or wiggle if the bite is tough.

Good Luck,
    Jason

3. gf319804

gf319804 The Ohio Outdoors

I had a lot of success last time I was out throwing zoom double ringers with no weight at all. That slow fall seemed to really trigger the bite. When things started getting slow, I switched to a powerbait 5" shad, watermelon, again, no weight, and working it slow, trying to give it that injured minnow effect. I caught probably 25-30 bass in a 3 hour period during the morning hours. I was just hoping I could go back up there this weekend and make it happen again.

4. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

For a few weeks now, they went on early this year. The gills are finishing up their spawning rituals now.

5. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

That power bait shad slays the bass down there. You can never go wrong with a senko either.