Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, below was the result of my fist cast in an AEP pond this year. At 2.5LBs it was also the biggest fish that I was to catch. There was huge variation among the different ponds. I fished over 20 ponds, and about half of those were new to me. Size (water volume), sun exposure, and water clarity determined how active the bass were at any particular pond. We caught a lot of bass (about 20 per day per person), but we did not find any BIG bass. The little bass, if they were hitting at all, would take just about anything that we would throw at them. Senkos, Crankbaits, spinnerbaits were all equally effective. Several in the 2LB range, but none over 2.5LBs. I did loose a nice one (around 4LBs) on a Rattle Trap. As I was bringing it in, it had two bass following. One of which was at LEAST 8LBs. Yea, we were able to see plenty of monsters, but did not bring any to the kayak.

I did a lot of gill fishing, and it was fast a furious as always. Once again, nothing BIG, but plenty of numbers.

I REALLY did not want to leave, as I’m sure the action will only get hotter in the next few days.

·
The Bream Reaper
40 Posts
Rooster,

Thanks for the AEP update. I'm headed down there in 2 weeks. It'll be my first trip to AEP. Taking 3 of my buddies with me for a long weekend of 'Gill fishin'. Seeing you in the kayak REALLY makes me want to hop into my new float tube.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking of kayaks.....my trusty AEP kayak finally developed a leak. A few years back, the kayak flew off the Jeep at around 50 MPH (going North on 83, down the hill just before campsite D). The stern was severely dented, but no leaks. After two days of being dragged through the AEP terrain this year, a nice 1” cut developed in the dent. Lets just say that I’m now confident that the kayak will float even when full of water! LOL, good times! I was able to do a field repair with some duct tape, but I’m afraid that the trusty Swifty will finally have to be retired. I have two other kayaks, but the little Swifty was perfect for AEP. I considered leaving it at a remote pond (for anyone to use), but thought that it was too close to littering.

·
Lifestyle Farmer
579 Posts
"I considered leaving it at a remote pond (for anyone to use), but thought that it was too close to littering."

Rooster, it is not littering.

It's actually a cool idea, but, I suppose it would eventually be littering. You know, after all of the hand wringing and fretting over this... well, really neat thing.

Go figure.

:G :F

·
Bubby wanna be
1,105 Posts
and there would always be someone to say "hey look what i found" and it would be in their garage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts