Ohio Game Fishing banner

advise or tactics on tree stand hunting with leave on the ground

893 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wildman 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas about hunting in climers or latter stands with all the leaves on the ground. I stick out like a sore thumb. I have my own thoughts but I was wondering if any one else has better.

#5 ·
your background selection is a must,,, i always pic a thick spot. plenty of brush /limbs/ect , also watch where the sun is. if it comes up on your back your in no range for attack, a slogan i use to remember while im picking out a spot, the sun will make an easy outline of you

#6 ·
I'm sure we're all familiar with the areas where the crabapple trees are so thick you can't see a deer until it's hauling a$$ away from you and zigzagging like a flushed grouse. Who hasn't shot a crab tree in half?
Occasionally, you will find one non-crab tree that will get you elevated(and hold your weight) enough to look down into the maze and it's a-maze-ing(pun intended) what you will see. Looks like little streets through there! Because you're in the biggest tree in the grove, you absolutely have to restrict your movement from snail-like to none at all! You might be amazed that the deer appear to see you but show no real concern if you're frozen still-provided they don't scent you. I once had 8 does under my tree in Jan. for 15 minutes, all glancing up occasionally but showing no fear as I did not move. Granted, I had on a light grey treebark pattern and a facemask(bow hunting)-no orange vest. Non tactical movement is the killer in a treestand, or on the ground for that matter.

#7 ·
Well I went to my stand its just a latter stand and its not around any cover so I made my own. With all the wind damage I found limes with leaves on them. I placed them on the tree stand and used black zip ties to place them in none shooting spots to give me cover. The I got down and looked from the deer point of view and noticed a couple of bad spots adjusted it and now I'm hoping that the new leaves and cover will not be noticed. After all that a buddy called and asked to hunt with me. The latter stand is the easiest to find so Hes going to hunt it and I'm going to find my climer about 300 yards down the creak. O wel. Wish us luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.