close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advise on fishing...

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lou, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Lou

Lou

I'll be taking the family shore fishing at WB this Sat.
    Any suggestions to hook them up on fish?
    We may even also visit Berlin while in the area.

2. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

Either docks at the public marina or by the entrance way to the state campgrounds there is a trail that leads down to the water and you can bank fish from there. Take night crawlers and set your hook about 20 inches above the bottom if you are tightlining.

3. I've done best from shore tightlining with crawlers, you never know what you'll catch, cat, walleye, wiper, just a decent size snelled hook #6. Also just for fun through a bobber with a little hook and maggot for bluegill minnow for crappie. same for berlin. When tightlining just drag you bait a few feet after you hit bottom to make sure you not in weeds.

4. Lou

Lou

Thanks alot!

5. The shoreline at most any of the inland lakes is going to be tough to fish due to the abundance of weeds right now. Was by the East ramp parking lot at West Branch today for example, and you could see the beds extending way out farther than you can cast. If you do happen to hook-up, I doubt you can retreive a fish through those thick weeds. The causeway at Berlin gives way to deeper water really fast(i.e.-no/few weeds) so your best fishing might be there. Just my two cents...

6. I would hit berlin in the evening! stop by les bait shop and buy leeches. fish them 2' below a bobber with a split shot off the causeway. The best spots are right on the edges of the concrete where it meets the rocks on the east side of the bridge on the north side of the lake. There are always a ton of smallies there ready to eat them. I have also caught many cats there too along with a walleye or two. It's a blast for the kids. The fish really turn on and come cruising along as the sun goes down, fish till dark you won't be disappointed!:B :D

7. Lou

Lou

Smitty,
    Are there places to park on the bridge like at Mosquito?

The One,
    Are you referring to Elseworthy Road?

8. the bridge is on rt 224 and yes very good parking!

9. Lou

Lou

Well, after scouting out campsites I decided to take my wife and daughter (son had to work) to the Berlin/224 causeway.
    Set my daughters rig with a bobber and nightcrawler @2.5'. At first cast she caught an 11" smallmouth, fun fight.
    Her and my wife then started catching bluegill, 6". I was tightlining a crawler with a floating jig head @ 3' and casting a natural sassy shad spinnerbait. When the sun went down I caught a 12" channel and a 10" white bass, both on tightline. All were caught and released.
    I need a boat! Bad!
    Location, location, location..........
    As long as they catch fish we're all having a good time.
    Thanks for the help guy's.

10. I can give you a piece of advise.....Make sure you clean up after yourself!

Fishing the local lakes, I've noticed many shore spots that are trashed by what apears to be shore fisherman. I'm not saying its you, but it only takes one meathead to garbage up a spot. That stuff will stay there until someone like me or you pick it up. I have noticed a trend.... If someone leaves a glass (beer) bottle on the ground, sure enough, the next time I float by, the bottle is broken and most of the glass is in the lake where a person can't see it...until they step on it!! If paper wrappers and other debre are on shore....the next time I float by its in the water!! See the pattern? I know boat fishernman may be just as bad cause their trash is spread out and most likely sunk. That does not make it right just cause its out of site.

It comes down to lazyness. Just please take out what you take in! I don't go out of my way much, (don't have to, trash is everywhere!), but if I walk over or near a piece of trash....I'll pick it up!

Thanks for listening to my small piece of advise.

11. Thats great advice!

I often fish down by the dome off Erie rd(chagrin river) and am constantly picking up trash down there.

Its not hard, come on people! clean up after yourself.

I enjoy going down there with a twelve pack just as much as the next guy, but you cant be leaving your garbage behind................

12. The One

The One Ret. 1SG U.S. Army

Couldn't agree more. Most landowners would be more receptive to pallowing people to fish if it weren't for trash. It's a simple courtesy, I always try to leave an area better than I find it if possible. Takes a few minutes to clean an area and hopefully other get the picture when enter after you.

13. Seriously, I was fishing the rocky river over at sprague rd. a couple days ago and it looked like someone threw a party there. Beer bottles, pop cans, cigharette packs, sandwich wrappers, someone even left the top half of their rod ... not to mention there were about 4 or 5 broken lines with about 50+ ft. of line on each one. I spent an hour cleaning up. One of the lines that I pulled in still had the fish on it. I've been seeing alot of this lately and it's really starting to get me mad

14. Lou

Lou

Man, I hear you.
    We left there with a bag of garbage that we picked up before we started fishing. There was still alot more left.