Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VHF radio has pooped the bed. And it appears to me that it would be cheaper to buy a new one instead of repair. Would like to get some ideas as to what is good. I have a Lund with a 10' or 12' antenna.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Standard or Icom make pretty solid units for a simple stand alone...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff I did look at the Icom 504 and the Standard GX2000. The Icom seems to be "more" waterproof, but I like the idea of a speaker in the Mike of the GX2000. They both seem to be Class D - I like the rotary knob for the Chanel selection on both - The up down buttons could be a little hard to do if its ruff. The Icom can track my buddies (if I had any), and I'm not sure how that works, or if it is useful. And I guess if the speaker is loud enough I wouldn't need a speaker in the Mike (its only on a Lund). The Icom also seems to display GPS info.....but if it is setting right next to the GPS... why?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did A ton of research A couple years ago. What Carpetbagger said is right on. I went with A SH as it wired into my SH chartplotter.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i have to agree with what there saying. because i dont know alot about radios. i have 2, 1 in each boat. they are just cheepies but do have the channel buttons on the mic. now i dont mean 39.95 but less than 160.00. i have just a cheap 8 ft antenna on my old boat, 52.00. i put a model 5399 9'6" antenna i paid 168.00 for on ebay. that made a biger difference in the performance for me than anything i have ever done. you seem to already have a good antenna, so any of those radios listed should work good for you. just dont forget to tell us where the fish are,LOL. go catch some.
sherman

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Some radios can be tied into your gps to use their mayday feature...Should you encounter a problem where life is at stake you can hit that button and it will hail your last known location via channel 16...Although last I heard I dont know if all the USCG Stations on Erie are setup for this feature....

Sherman I bought a 8ft Galaxy antenna off Ebay for half price...Probaly one of the best thing I bought for my boat when I got it...Keep in mind the antenna means as much if not more than the radio...

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Some radios can be tied into your gps to use their mayday feature...Should you encounter a problem where life is at stake you can hit that button and it will hail your last known location via channel 16...Although last I heard I dont know if all the USCG Stations on Erie are setup for this feature....

Sherman I bought a 8ft Galaxy antenna off Ebay for half price...Probaly one of the best thing I bought for my boat when I got it...Keep in mind the antenna means as much if not more than the radio...
hey jeff
yea, i didnt have any idea that the antennas was so important to the performance of your radio untill this year. i heard other guys on here talking about them. so i did alittle research of my own. thats why i decided to invest alittle money in a good antenna for my new boat. and it was money well spent. everywhere elce i looked at the 5399 was 200.00 up to 325.00 so i was happy with the 168.00. and thats why i reccomend to anybody that asks to get a good antenna.

and our first trip out on erie it worked great. we trailered from geneve over to conny and then trailered back. but we all forgot the antenna and busted the tip section. i found a replacement tip on line for 18.00. whew that was a big relief. i just knew i was going to have to shell out another 168.00. the good thing was the radio still worked even with the busted tip. just not as good.

do you have any advice about radios with the icom feature?? are they easy to learn to use. if you have info on them just pm me and not tie up his thread anymore. i,ve done run off at the mouth long enough. good fishing to all.
sherman

·
Tom B.
3,898 Posts
The vertical speaker grills are a potentially overlooked advantage of ICOMs in wet weather on open boats. My Raymarine VHF is practically worthless on a rainy night because of the tiny grill holes.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I use a small external speaker from West Marine with my unit. mounted on dash....makes big difference on hearing it.

·
Angry Floater #2 The Deuce
903 Posts
Antenna, placement and grounding will help any VHF radio. I rigged up a 17 foot center console witch has a collapsible bimini top. I was very limited in space. I bought (used) a standard horizon radio which had external controls built into the mic for its compact size. I had to go 1/4 antenna because of mounting location. I can still put up the top with out the antenna hitting anything.

1) My depth finder actual interferes with the 2 way radio. With depth finder on there is a decreases in signal by 3 db (1/2 signal).
2) I have very limited range because of the 1/4 wave antenna. My body will actually block some of the signal
3) When running I could not hear the VHF speaker. I added an external speaker next to the depth finder. That works wonderful

I will play with grounding the antenna to different sources to see if it will increase or descrease range and interference.

When ever possible go with the BIGGEST antenna that will be functionable on your boat.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to thank all for your input. I ordered a ICOM 504 from the GPS Store, it was $284...... I assume the install will be easy since I am only replacing.
Now all we got to do is find the eyes....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts