close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice on Lake Cattin?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by bassattacker, Jul 9, 2007.

1. i belong to a private club that has a 15 acre lake, the lake has bass, crappie, blue gill (varies), carp, catfish (channels, shovels, flats) the question i have is most people fish for channels or bass, i know the flats are in there and some of the ones that have been released into the lake are over 30lbs. and id be guessing but there is probally over 100 flats in the lake, and ive seen a few babies this weekend coming up and hitting the gills that are coming off the spawn out there, the question i have is what would be the best tactic to go after these flats in the lake, the water conditions are pretty good except the fact that the lake is low, but everywhere right now is low, cover is abundant along the bank and out in the lake itself(sunken trees), the lake doesnt see much pressure for flats, mainly people fish for the channels since they run a tournament from memorial day to labor day with tags, any advice would greatly be appreciated. thanks in advance, forgot to add everything in this lake is catch and release except channels, crappie, gills, and carp, and the abundance of feeder fish for flats is overwhelming

2. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

Find a nice calm area where there is undercut banks, or fallen trees, etc. Use live bluegill, smaller suckers etc.

3. neocats1

neocats1 Team Catastrophe

lots of advice will be given on this topic, so I put in a little on gear. To start, if you are going after 30+ pound flatties you will need a strong rod. Length of the rod is a matter of choice, but at a minimum you'll need a Medium-Heavy one. I prefer spinning rods myself but lots of guys use casting rods. No matter what type you use, your reel has to be strong enough to handle bigger fish. My choice is an Okuma Fin Chaser Combo ($35.00). Next is your line. You said there is lots of cover in the lake, so go with a 50# braided line so you can turn the fish around when he takes off. And my last advice is on hooks. The only hooks I use are Daiichi Circle Hooks. The size of the hook needed will be determined mainly by the size of bait you are using.
    Hope this helps get you started.