Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DAD'S GOIN FISHN
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just bought a 16' smokercraft and it came with a 45lb thrust 36" shaft. I was out at a local lake and the prop blades were kickn out of the water while running.lol it was so loud i was covering my face, and needless to say no fish that day. Im after a new 1 but am really conflicted on what to get, i dont really want to spend more than $700 or $800. Too many bad reviews on places for me to choose, but i would stleast like a 55lb thrust. Any advice would be taken greatly

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just bought a 70 lb motorguide from Bass Pro last week. My 2007 tracker still has the original 46 lb motor on it from the factory, still works but was time to upgrade! I went with the motorguide because the original was motorguide and it has lasted all these years and still runs great! They all have there goods and bass, have to remember in the fishing world everyone has their own favorites and some badmouth the other brands! Just my opinion but I don't think you can go wrong with either any major brand out there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hello everyone! I just bought a 16' smokercraft and it came with a 45lb thrust 36" shaft. I was out at a local lake and the prop blades were kickn out of the water while running.lol it was so loud i was covering my face, and needless to say no fish that day. Im after a new 1 but am really conflicted on what to get, i dont really want to spend more than $700 or $800. Too many bad reviews on places for me to choose, but i would stleast like a 55lb thrust. Any advice would be taken greatly
Just a heads up there is a post in the marketplace forum on here, the guy is selling an 80# minn Kota for $750 I think

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm assuming it's as low as it will go. There are a few right in your budget, a motorguide x3 digital is under 700 (get the x3 digital not analog and not the more expensive xi3). My last boat I went through 3 trolling motors. The first thing I did was upgrade to a 24 volt from ebay, ran well for 3 or 4 years then smaller stuff started to break and took parts off the original 12volt to fix it. Eventually did the x3 digital as I read not the best reviews on that same motor with the analog/non digital. It ran really well without problems for a year or 2 and sold that boat eventually. You can definitely find something new in your budget that will work for you, good luck.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've always been a motor guide fan. Have never had an issue with any of them. Most guys I know with Minn kotas seem to have little nickle and dime issues pretty frequently

·
Harry
960 Posts
I have a 45 lb min Kota Edge on my 16.5 ft sea nymph.... plenty of thrust IMO, only takes 12 volts and only costs $400. My motor has a 45 inch shaft, it works fine, but I wouldn’t want it to be any shorter.
I guess if I fished exposed to 20 mph winds that I’d need a 70lb thrust.
I usually buy min Kota because they are a little cheaper. I’ve had pretty good luck with the minn kotas, but I’ve owned a couple motor guides and they seem to be better quality.

·
DAD'S GOIN FISHN
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i was gunna purchase a minn kota edge 70 but started to see wayyy to many complaints from people

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ya i was gunna purchase a minn kota edge 70 but started to see wayyy to many complaints from people
Yeah my little brother has one on his boat and the other day he was saying he may have to buy a new pedal already for it. It is sad when they all cost so much in the first place!

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
MinnKota power drive V2 55 lb thrust 48” shaft 12 volt is what you need. Good, reliable and cheap without all the bells and whistles. Bought mine used in here. Almost like new. Thought I saw one recently on here.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I think you would do fine with either brand. I switched from MG to MK this year. It's only a few months old so I can't say much about longevity of the TM.
When I was looking in the stores at TM's I was taking to one of the dealers and he said if it were him he'd go with MK. I asked why and he said they had more return's with the MG. He said that since Atwood bought MG they seemed to have more returns. Nothing consistently wrong but just more issues.
I've owned MG for most of my life and for have had good success with them. This new MK seems very well made so who knows.
The only thing I would really look at is one of the motors with spot lock. Yes it's more money but (since you're starting over) now is the time to really look at them if you have any interest at all. I think more important than brand is what features do you want on a TM. Most TM's are going to last for a lot of years so get whatever features you really want.

·
DAD'S GOIN FISHN
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After all said an done I purchased a
mg x3 55lb 50" shaft. I was gunna spring for the xi but for as little as i will use it I couldnt spend $800 on it. Im i have an older 80's merc 35hp on my girl aswell, and am already telling myself that will need to be replaced in the next year or 2. I need to get it into the shop she doesnt like standing still you gotta give it gas an go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts