close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by elyfishingmaster, May 14, 2005.

1. elyfishingmaster

elyfishingmaster Junior member

I am 15 years old and i just started a job at a lanscaping type place. I work 5 days a week and i go in right after school until 9 o clock and then saturdays from 1 to 9 and sundays 12 to 6. It doesnt seem like i get any time to do anything else but work. I know when i get older i will have to get a job and work long hours but dont know if i want to do it now. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

2. Kid, It looks to me like you have Saturday and Sunday mornings to fish. Also 2 days after school that you don't work. If you want a car next year it seems like this is the way to get it. Also your fishing tackle. Put some away for when you're older and you won't have to work a lot of hours then. Like me I work to much when the weather is nice for fishing and am off when the weather is to bad to fish. I'm 60 going on 18.

3. Hey man work and save some cash to purchase what you need to be happy for now including a car and save for your senior year so that you will not have to work then as it will be the best year you will have in school and you should spend it having fun not working... If you feel you are missing out now then don't and if your parents can help you along now quit working and enjoy your youth you are only young once!!!
    I worked and left school a year early because I completed my education then went to the navy... Boy did I miss out on alot and now wish I would have waited for my class to finish and graduate with all my friends... That is the only thing I would change about my past which was working while in school and graduating a year early...

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Tough call KFM. You did pick a job that is "seasonal", which requires working when the weather permits...which unfortunately means that when it's nice outside, you'll be working. That's the nature of landscaping, and most outdoor occupations. I would imagine that you are probably making more landscaping, than most other jobs available to a 15 year old? I landscaped when I was your age, and was in the same situation. However, it's one of many sacrifices you'll make when you enter the work force and continue as you get older. It's the nature of the beast.

It all boils down to what's important to you. You have the rest of your life to work, and it really doesn't get much better as you get older. At 15 your options are pretty limited, as to where and when you can work. Your situation sounds very typical of landscaping labor, but based on your posted work schedule, your employer isn't conforming to Ohio Minor Labor laws. Here's what I'm talking about:

RESTRICTIONS FOR HOURS WORKED:
    1. Minors under 16 years of age are prohibited from working:
    a. Before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. when school is in session
    b. Before 7:00 a.m. or after 9.00 p.m. when school is NOT in session or during a school holiday of five (5) or more days
    c. More than 3 hours in a school day
    d. More than 18 hours in a school week
    e. More than 8 hours a day when school is NOT in session
    f. More than 40 hours per week when school is NOT in session

Once summer break hits, they can work you those hours...but if you're still in school, it sounds like they aren't following state labor laws. If you were to get hurt on the job under those circumstances, then they are going to have a huge problem on their hands. I guess I'd be surprised that they would take that risk in the first place.

I dunno what to tell ya man. Landscaping can be physically demanding with long hours, and you are smack dab in the middle of a landscapers peak season. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and I truely believe that labor type jobs can teach you a lot about yourself, and I personally got more fullfillment out of jobs like that than desk jobs and still do.

At 15, I would think your main concern is having cash and time to spend it...nothing wrong with that. When you get older, you'll look back at that and think "wow...if it was only that simple today". You'll always end up sacrificing something for employment. Free time, money, etc... that's a given. Just don't let it own you this early...you've got the rest of your life for that ;)

5. catking

catking Banned

Here's the best advise I can give you- Put $ 20 -$25 of that money in a savings account starting your first pay check . Do this until you are about 40 years old. I know that seems like a freakin 1000 years to you , but once you hit 40 , you will have enough money saved and all the interest that compounded over the years that you can fish for the better part of your life... do the math , you will be amazed at the amount of money you have built up .............. ;) ......... THE CATKING !!!

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

kid: I am 20 and have had a few jobs since i turned 14. here are my experiences...long summer hrs are ok if....you are fihing by yourself, if you rely on an adult to transport you, make sure your hrs match thiers. I worked 40+hrs a weeek delivering stuff in the summers and any break i had from 15-17. once i had a car and other priorities,it made being laid off a little more manageable. i had a car that was paid for in cash, like others had said so i went fishing...al summmer. now, since iw as 19 i've had a part time job due to school, in summer I am working 3 days a week and will have plenty of time to fish. reality is, even if you try to save money your whole life...there will always be an expence that will drain that money...such as a g/f wife, child/children, weddings, leaching grandchildren, house, that new car you'll neeed, boat you can't afford and what not. LIVE IN THE NOW!!!!!!!

7. elyfishingmaster

Thank you all. I like getting the money i just dont like not being able to hang out with my friends and all of that.

8. Hey man I will 19 in june and last summer I worked almost every day the were a few weeks in there that I was working 50 hours a week. Yes the money was good and I got enough money to buy my truck. But now that I look back on it I wish I didn't work so much because I missed all the fun things about being a kid. It was my last summer being a kid and I missed it. I would suggest having a job yes because it teaches you to be responsible. If you don't wasnt to work so much talk to you boss and tell him your situation. You are only a kid once live it up man.

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

you prolly don't want to hear this ,but work now play later. you really don't want to be working when your 70 because you have too. plenty of time to fish later.

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Ditto on what Shakedown said. Sounds like you are working way too many hours. I worked 35 hours a week in high school and I'm here to tell you I regret it today. It was at the expense of my education, put me in situations with "adults" that were not exactly role models. My grades suffered & I did not go to college, most of my friends did go onto higher education. Now they are retiring, I'm still "starting over" after losing my small business. I've worked since I was 14, so that's nearly 40 years.
    Good advice on saving money, seems hard to do I know, but if you can put up $100 a month ( and then 10% or more of your income) you will be able to do what you want to in life before you know it.
    Work is good, but not so many hours. 15-20 hours a week during school is plenty.
    There's too much emphasis on things. When you're on your deathbed, you won't be looking back saying you wished you spent more time working......
    Money is important, but it's not the most important. I've seen some who think money equates intelligence, as if because they make more than another, they are somehow superior, their opinons are better,etc. Watch out for those traps.

11. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Big Black Jeep..... I think you said it just right. :) It's true, you are only a kid once. You have the rest of your life to be an adult... no need to rush.
    My opinion is it's all about "BALANCE". Right now KFM, you are out of balance. If you keep going at this rate, you are going to burn yourself out way too prematurely.
    I do think that working is a great thing, don't get me wrong. I began working at a very young age which allowed me to purchase my own car at 16 years old. (It was a 1974 Javelin AMX that was soooo awesome!)
    I know that its tempting to spend all of your money on "Fun" Stuff... but, what you should be doing is taking a certain percentage of your earnings and putting it into an investement account for later on in your life when you are ready to purchase your first home.
    Also, Shakedown confirmed what I suspected. Sounds like your employer may be taking advantage of you. (Low Salary paid (to you)+ Many hours labor (by you) = MORE MONEY in HIS pocket)
    Good luck to you KFM...you're in good hands with OGF looking out for you :)
    Marcia

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Remember this, you're only young once, but you will be old forever !!! Once you start pulling that wagon, it never ends. ;)

13. elyfishingmaster

I might talk to my boss and see if i can get my hours cut down a little bit and thank you to all the OGF members who have helpped me out with my problem

14. KFM, I recognize your name from somewhere but cannot remember....
    Have you been a menber of any other boards or chat rooms?

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

bosses will always take advantage

16. elyfishingmaster

Orange County Chopper i used to go to probass and chat there have u ever been there

17. I will take the other side. I have worked since I was 14 years old-there is nothing wrong with working and sometimes I worked alot of hours. I went to college( full time) and worked 40-48 hours per week and got very good grades. Sure I probably missed out on a few play type things but I also gained invaluable work expierence, which has led to a successful career and plenty of play time, and play toys. I used to tell my kids that the WORST two four letter words in the american language are "HARD WORK", or it sure seeems like it today. I do not believe hard work is a bad thing in fact I think it's a good thing. But you will have to schedule your time carefully for the fun things-it will take some effort, but I believe in the end you will be very happy and proud of your accomplishments. Also counter to some theories you cannot be taken advantage of-unless you want to.

18. KFM the fact that you asked the question probably means you feel like you're missing out on something. We can all give you advice on what we would do but you're at that age where decisions become your own instead of your parents. Hard work can be a great thing. It's also possible for too much of a great thing. Reel Lady said it best - Balance. Right now your grades are as important as your job. Don't sacrifice one for the other. When you make money - spend it wisely! Fishing is a great sport because you can fish for hours and cost less than a movie.

The most important thing to do at your age is think about what lies ahead and prepare for it. Are you going to college? I've got a cousin with a Master's degree in fisheries biology and now works for the state of Alabama fishing for a living. Pay is not great, but hey, he fishes for a living! Right now is the time to decide where you want to be when you're 30 and make it happen! Ask lots of questions like the one you just posted. Talk to adults who you admire and ask them how they got where they are.

And whatever you do, DON'T JOIN THE NAVY!!! Sorry atrkyhntr, I'm Air Force. lol. Couldn't let that one slip by. My brother in law was Navy so better Navy than Army! lol!

19. hahahaa...
    Good advice for the young man...
    Let us know what you decide to do... and why...

20. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Go to your local Golf Course and see if there hiring. Good Summer job and great hours usually done working by 3. That leaves you all night to fish. That what I did when I was growing up, made pretty decent money too, free golf too if that's your cup of tea!!!