Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally lucked out and got a spot for the November 16th archery deer hunt at Plumbrook fo November 16th. Though a long time traditional archer, I have been only hunting for deer for the last three years.

I am not too eager about treestands. Should I put up a ground blind or keep moving slowly around.

Whatever advice I get will surely be appreciated.

TG

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ground blinds are great when you can set them up several weeks before you hunt them. Setting one up and expecting a mature deer whether buck or doe, to ignore them is unrealistic. Being on the ground with a crossbow and great camo would work much better. If you are using a longbow you really only have two realistic options. A tree stand or a natural blind. By natural blind I mean you need to find a natural ambush site where you are hidden well enough to draw your bow without being seen. To do this you will first need to know the area you are going to hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ive been drawn in the past you will see literally hundreds of deer and plenty of mature bucks i truthfully wouldnt worry about much more then camo and putting yourself up against a good tree and let the wait begin, good luck and put a rage in the cage :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using a Browning Safari 47# recurve, camo clothing and a new pair of Rocky's. And a camo umbrella. I am not one that can sit in the same seat a long period and am not especially thrilled seating 15 feet above the ground.

·
Registered
390 Posts
your best bet is to keep moving. just still hunt the entire time. stay close to the edges as deer will be moving all the time. they did drives of the parcels no one was allowed to hunt to push the deer out of those areas and into the hunt units. they also schedule gun hunts on the same day and they'll keep deer movin also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sc83! That is just the advice I was hoping to hear!

I have read that when you "still hunt" you move so slowly you may take an hour to just cover a couple of hundred yards. Walk slowly for 15 yards than hold still for an half hour. Pardon my perceived ignorance but my main hunting experiences is with grouse hunting.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its been 10yrs since I was in there, but I doubt they really change the way the hunts are ran. Expect to not get in the field till about and hour after daylight either.

·
I'll be bach
500 Posts
I was at plum brook quite a while ago and they were truly focused on getting the deer to you. I would say with a bow be patient early and the deer will come to you. Take notes as far as trails or main intersections and find a good natural blind on top of them. Slow hunt as the day comes to an end. Take turns with your buddy. One guy can bust threw the thick stuff and the other can wait at the other end. When I was up there the guides were firing blanks as they came threw the brush. The deer were on the run so be ready to make em stop somehow. Make the shot count, you don't wanna spend all day tracking a deer. But if it happens that way you gotta do it. Plum Brook is number 1 in my book. ENJOY the day .:!:!:

worm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts