Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat new to Muskie fishing. I have caught a fair amount in the last few years out of rivers, but now that I have a boat I am now looking to start targeting them in lakes as well. I've read a lot of info out there that says to somewhat use the same strategies and look for habitat similar to that fished for walleye. I will likely be fishing mostly West Branch and Lake Milton when I do go. Any advice from you seasoned tooth hunters would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for specific locations, just some general info on some good starting points for lures to use, trolling techniques, casting, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Never fished Milton but have been to West Branch 4 times over the last 3 years. I love that lake. Too bad it's four hours away. Have always seen, caught and lost fish every trip. I cast or vertical jig. Hit the weed beds, shore with weeds, wood or rock, flats adjacent to deep water and humps and ridges. I use bucktails, 8" bobbie bait, bondy bait, mid medusa, super stalker and 6 to 8" phantoms. Only times I've been there is mid June and Mid Sept.

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,486 Posts
#1 Most Important Point- Time on the water,
I know its cliche' but learning a lake and the points, humps is critical- especially this time of the year.
I'm still learning the lakes after 15 years chasing these slimy #&$%$!

#2 You have to figure out what style of fishing you like the most: Bucktails in weeds, casting deep cranks on rocks, trolling open water fish- Personally, I like all styles but prefer the April/May time of year.
#3 Do yourself a favor- get the Musky 360 App, and your welcome. :)

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I treat musky casting like big bass fishing and cast for them 75% of the time im fishing for them.

Big baits do catch big fish but you'll catch more on smaller or medium sized musky baits.

I will just say that doing your figure 8 is a must, you will miss many fish you never saw and loose all the fish you do see by the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts