close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice for a new roof

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by moondog5814, Oct 17, 2008.

1. moondog5814

moondog5814 captainhook

I need a new roof on my house. I had one contractor give me a bid and advised me to get three of those vents that are mounted near the top of the roof. Another contractor advised me to get a ridge vent. The only thing with that is that I don't have soffit vents. I have looked at many sites online that say that you should have soffit vents with the ridge vent, but then again I have seen some sites that say the ridge vent(without soffit vents) is better than those square exterior type vents. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Thanks.

2. Get the vents in the roof while it is getting replaced! Ridge or individual vents would be a matter of preference if sized correctly for square footage. You can get soffit vents done later and I would recommend them to allow air flow. Air flow in the attic space removes heat in the summer (lower AC cost, cooler house, longer shingle life) and also allows condensation to escape when the attic is warm and the roof is cold in fall/winter for longer deck life. If you read the shingle manufacturers information, you will find that they recommend venting and won't warrant shingles without it.

3. moondog5814

moondog5814 captainhook

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to say that my type of house(bungalow), doesn't have overhangs to put the soffit vents in.

4. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

5. moondog,
    For what it's worth, my house doesn't have soffits either. I had the square vents on my old roof and never had a problem. When I replaced the roof, I went to a ridge vent. That winter I had moisture problems in my attic. I ended up putting vents in the gabel ends to alleviate it. I put in 4 vents. There is a room up there with crawl spaces on each side. They do make a vent that installs behind your gutters, but I didn't try them. Hope this helps.

Scott

6. lawrence1

lawrence1 Master Tangler

Go with the ridgevent. The less holes in your roof the better. Vents, chimmney's, stinkpipes, etc. in the field of the roof are usually where leaks develop.

Airflow is another subject.

Off topic, but I recomend brown shingles. As they age you will not notice the staining as bad. With a white shingle, even though the roof is still good it looks horrible.