close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ads, Banners, Pop-ups/unders...please read!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Folks...I wanted to address this, as it seems to be a hot topic lately. Our apologies if we should've addressed this sooner...wasn't intentional.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't like the ads. Not here, not on any site. However, OGF generates zero income, and we have a boatload of expenses. Granted, we've gotten some great support through member donations (can't say THANKS enough!!), but our startup and maintenance expenses are a pretty big chunk. For the time being, the only way we could come up with covering those expenses, is through advertising.

The ads aren't always pretty and they aren't always relevant to OGF, but they do generate a small amount of income for us. Nothing huge, but enough to warrant them on the site.

On the same hand, those of us who built and developed the site, were more than willing to foot the bill, and were prepared to do so. I guess all we are trying to do here, is to recoup some of that if we can.

I think we can all agree that Banners/Ads/Pop ups pretty much suck. But please keep and open mind about it, and realize that the only reason they are here, is to cover our startup costs and expenses.

If anyone has any other ideas, we are open to suggestions. This is YOUR site, so your feedback is extremely important to us. No one is trying to get rich here, just want to keep from going broke ;)

Thanks for your understanding, generosity, and support.

2. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

I dont know...i kinda like that one for the free screensavers :D:D

Mitch

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Do what you need to do, I have no problem with them.

4. I guess I really stirred the pot when I brought up the ads. Sorry about that. I have been thinking lately that I enjoy this site and the ohfishing.com site both. I have no idea how much jv is paying for his site but what if we merged the sites and had one site and every member here was a member there or what ever. I think there are quite a few guys here that are there. I guess it's always an option. There is no need for two great sites to compete against eachother when we could put them together and have a really good site.

fishintiger

5. ShakeDown

Fishintiger...don't sweat it man, you didn't stir it up. I know it has been on a few peoples minds, including my own ;)

As far as JV and OHFishing.com go, I don't think anyone considers the two sites competition at all, atleast we and Joe don't. Speaking of ads, he has a banner here too, and vice versa :D

OGF and OHFishing support each other, and have from day one. There are lot of similarities between us, and some differences. Personally, I like the variety.

6. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

In regards to the Pop Under ads as well as any other miscellaneous ads that are located around the site on the right hand side of the screen that are verticle. I was caught a bit off guard when I began noticing them last night, as I am sure most all the members were. I think it is pretty obvious that nobody, including the Moderators of OGF really like these advertisements at this time, BUT due to the cost of running a premier website such as OGF, and all the GREAT things that this site offers US as members, I can understand the decision to have them at this time. There is no doubt in my mind that if there is a way to generate enough income to cover the cost of running this site, other than having pop unders, that it will be considered, and implimented.

I can only speak for myself, but I am willing to deal with advertisements, such as a pop under ad, if it is helping to fund a website that I truly enjoy visiting daily. For members that don't know, there are ways that you can block the ads that pop under your browser window. For those using AOL, I believe they have a built in Pop up blocker, and I know that the SBC DSL customers such as me, also have software available to them through their internet provider to block things such as this. There are also programs that you can buy at Best Buy that will also do this. Better yet there are FREE popup blocker programs on the web.

Since inception of OGF, it has been the will of the Moderators to keep this site free to US as members, yet in all reality, someone is footing the bill to keep the site up. There is no other place that I know of on the web where I can get up to date fishing reports, chat, unlimited pic posting, lunar tables, outings, free stuff, arcade games, product reviews, and I could go on and on...FOR FREE to me as a member.

I will support the OGF development team in their decisions to bring US as members the best fishing website that they can possibly give. I urge YOU as a member to bring your ideas to the table to make this site even better.

I feel that WE as members of OGF are the Gas of the site and the Moderators are the Engine of the site. We as members must continue to feed the moderators with our ideas, and suggestions on how to make things better.

I as a web developer myself am always willing and wanting to hear from the members or users of my site on how I can make the website they visit better for them. Sometimes I run out of ideas, and love it when someone says "Hey Ben, did you ever think of this" or "Hey Ben, I would like it if....."

WE as members need to band together and realize that the Moderators are probably feeling the same way as we are, and they want our input and feedback.

I support the OGF Mod Crew 100%

-KSUFLASH

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Thanks all. There are some very real and significant costs to OGF, and the ads we've deployed are one way of recovering some of our costs, and I'll add that our goal is to get paid advertisers and sponsors so we don't have to use these on a long-term basis. Being a relatively new site, it will take us some time to land some advertisers.

OGF, what you see today, will continue to remain free. That's our commitment to all of you.

8. The banners and ads on the pages don't bother me. The ones that do are the pop up and pop under ads. I have to click on the banners and ads on the page for something to happen. The pop ups just like there name says pop up. I am up for what ever keeps the site free. I first brought this up because it surprised me to see the pop under and I was just wondering if it was supposed to happen or if I had some kind of spyware or virus screwing with me. I have had a few of them that really just annoyed me.

fishintiger

9. catking

catking Banned

Thanks for the post KSUFLASH ;) CATKING

10. I'm not getting any pop-ups at all, but instead of selling advertising space....why not try something novel, like a membership fee or something like that...say $12 a year or so.

AOL 9.0.....NO POP-UPS

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Froggy:
    Do us a favor and don't start something about us charging anyone anytime. Even if you meant it as a joke please don't post that on here. We, the staff of OGF do not and will not make this a pay site. We'll do what ever we can to keep this free to our members. Re-read shakes and Rogers post it clearly states our goals.
    To the others that have posted here thank you for your in-put and vote of confidence. We are here for the members they make or break a site.

12. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Did i mention, i like that one pop-up that advertises the free screensavers?:D:D

Mitch

13. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Yeah, you mentioned it Mitch.

Any one screen saver in particular? ;)

Kim

14. My two cents is I don't really care. But what I think is most unnerving is that they just started without any announcement. I woulld suggest in the future that if possible ask the members and then make a decision based on input from us members. I don't like pop-ups downs sideways or any other way. The banner type ads don't bother but the pop......can be a nuisance although you have minimized them pretty well. Again just my two cents.

15. ShakeDown

Exec, you're right...we should've givin you guys a heads up. Again, wasn't intentional, just an oversight.

16. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

it takes me a complete 2 seconds to close the pop up,i think i can squeeze that much time in every time i visit the site! :D :D :D :D

17. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Get the google toolbar, it blocks most pop-ups but I have noticed that OGF pop ups manage to get by. Actually OGF is the only site they get by on. Strange thing is google pop-up blocked blocks my PM windows but not the ads. But in reality I don't mind. What you guys are doing is costing a lot of cash I'm sure, and a few pop ups here and there don't bother me a bit.

Keep up the good work :)

18. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Ive never had one come up.

19. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

thanks fort the kind words about OHF as you know we feel the same about OGF, coming from a semi outsider all of the brains from both sites are doing a supurb job, kinda makes me sad that theres nothing like these 2 sites in PA, a buddy of mine who spends 99.9 percent of his time on line at home has 3 puters going with ads that run across the top of the puters and gets paid i think he said it was like 7cents an hour or something like that for having those ads up there.... the ads ars about 1 inch deep at the very top of the puter and you get used to them fairly quick i am waiting for him to give me the name of the compony cause since my puter is on line 24 hours a day maybe i can make some pocket change and whatever i make i,ll just put towards the internet bill, one thing i have no taste for is the pop-up ad i just don,t like em but its not a hard thing to do to just click it away and if you guys are getting paid for having a pop up now and again go for it, its a bonus getting paid everytime one of those buggers shows up, these 2 sites complimeant each other very well all you guys should pat each other on the back for a well done job, thats my 2 cents on it so you know the old saying (don,t fix something that ain,t broke) how many places you see bite the dust for changing a good thing, thanks guys.................. :cool:

20. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

my i suggest, mozilla firefox internet browser. i have not seen 1 popup on here, or anywhere come to think of it. :)