close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

adjusting crankbaits

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by chet, Jan 29, 2009.

1. chet

chet

Edit

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. eyesman_01

eyesman_01 getting wEYESer every day

chet, one of the problems I see with sanding down the lips is the same factor we have to deal with in making the baits, and that is centering of the lip. If you sand, you have to make sure you take the EXACT same amount off each side or it won't run true. Another factor to consider is those baits are manufactured to run deep, meaning their size, shape, weight, lip size AND angle, and point of line tie, are all designed for that purpose. Simply working down the lip may only render the bait useless. I'd be more apt to sell or trade off some of those deep divers for shallow ones.

3. Suggest you simply move the line tie forward. Try various positions until you get the location that suits you and then link it back to the original tie for strength.

4. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I think Eyesman got it right. Your more likely to ruin some perfectly good deep runners than produce a good shallow runner. If you do decide to try it, you can buff out the ground edges with polishing wheel on a grinder or little polishing attachment that goes on a Dremel. Good luck either way.

5. chet

chet

edit

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017