acton tailwater

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Hillbilly910, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Hillbilly910

Hillbilly910 Team Bowman/Sayres

gonna go try it again, still figure its early, but maybe a few have slid up stream by now.
    Im ready for a mess of saugeye!

:G

2. crappie4me

crappie4me panfish junkie

i was there this morning..me and brother in law...notta

3. Hillbilly910

did you have a young'n with ya. If so that was me you passed on the way in.
    I struck out as well, fished from the dam, all the way to the bridge and then on south some. Still just to early yet, couple more weeks hopefully.

Did feel good to air the bait-caster out though!

4. crappie4me

nope wasnt me i was outta there by 930..yeah felt pretty good just to cast a few

5. Are we talking about the bridge that you drive over and park by? Just asking b/c I've only been there a few times. Fished that area once. Thanks

6. Hillbilly910

Smallieking, yes, thats the tailwater. If you park at the bridge, and hike north(across the road), you'll hit the dam. Theres a trail that leads back in from the road, after about 40 yards, it cuts right into the pine tree's, if you follow that, it will bring you down to the raceway, where the water comes over the dam.

7. What time of year do they typically starthitting well in the tailwaters?

8. Hillbilly910

generally, folks are already catching fish in spillways right now, but i guess the real cold temps has held them up. basicly, they should be swimming up stream any time.
    Gonna try acton tailwater again early next week. Brookville lake tailwater today.

9. Let us know how you do. I might head out there Friday.

10. Hillbilly910

Went today to the tailwater, fished the entire strech, from the private property line to the dam, nadda. never even a peck or nibble. was quite a few folks fishin this evenin at the raceway, they had the same results.
    Water was a little low, not bad. Color was a bit dark almost tannic looking.

Anybody know what the "breakwall" or something along those lines is, on the lake? Couple old timers who fish down there alot talk about fishing it, and it must be down at the sugar camp beach area. Well whatever it is, its closed right now, but evidntly its a purty good place to fish right now.

11. crappie4me

any ice on the lake hb?

12. Hillbilly910

I didnt see it first hand, but the old timer i talked to said it was open at the ramp, guess somebody was out fishing in that area, but otherwise still froze up. However, after the wind we had today, it should have opened quite a bit.

13. Are there saugeyes,and, or walleyes in Acton lake? And where do they seem to catch the most?

14. How are things at Brookville?

15. Hillbilly910

The conditions at the brookville tailwater are similar, decent water conditions, no fish.
    The lake(brookville) finally is ice free now, thanks to the wind. crappie bite is decent to good, depends on where on the lake you are.

There are saugeyes in Acton Lake, however, in the tailwater, you can catch saugeyes,walleyes and saugers. One of the conclusive reasons i believe 60-85% of the fish(saugeyes) come from the river. walleyes cant reproduce well enough to survive in the lake. but last year we caught at least 10 walleyes while fishing in the raceway. best of my knowledge, thats about 12-13 miles of creek they are coming up, but then again, what lenghts wont a man go to "get some" why would it be any different for a fish?
    LOL

16. The ODW stocked saugeyes in Action lake the last 4 years and are disapointed with the results. There were no walleyes or saugers stocked in Action lake. I talked to the park ranger and the game warden and the state is going to discontinue the stocking of saugeyes at action.
    The reason they were first stocked was for a study involving Ohio State University. The fish being caught in the spillway come from the lake they wash over the spillway when the lake floods. They do not come up the creek from the river.

17. Hillbilly910

so then how are we catching pure breed walleyes if they dont travel up stream, a natural spawing ritual, and they dont exsist in the lake?
    I was un-aware that they discontinued the stcoking program.
    Seems odd that such a large number of fish would be "washed" over the dam, when they should be running upstream right now...