close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Acton Lake question.

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by skeeziks, Mar 13, 2005.

1. I'm planning on taking my two young daughters on a fishin' trip during their spring break. I've heard that Acton Lake has some pretty good crappie, and bluegill action. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on where to go? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Skeeziks - Are you going to fishing from a boat? The lake is small, you probably won't have trouble spotting likely gill and crappie spots. The end away from the dam is very shallow.

3. No, unfortunately I'll be fishin' from the shore.

4. When I was at Miami we used to bank fish from the Sugar camp area for crappie.

5. I heard a good spot is near the Sugar Camp fishing pier.

6. you taking them girls on a bait gathering trip:D

7. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Skee - yeah the sugar camp pier is good - just follow the signs. Also, you can catch fish off most of the docks at the marina and follow the concrete wall around and you come to a little cove like area with willow trees where I've caught gills. Most of these places are also good for cats. No matter what it's so nice to hear you are taking your daughters out, I remember when I used to do that. But they still ended up growing up :(

8. L.O.L! Hey Catfishhunter33!, I would ask you if you needed any bait, but from what I understand your freezer is still full from last year, due to your inability to catch any Cats! :) :) :)

9. L.O.L! Hey Catfishhunter33!, I would ask you if you needed any bait, but from what I understand your freezer is still full from last year, due to your inability to catch any Cats! :) :) :)

10. i like kids (well some of them ) but maybe we could take your girls on an adventure:eek:

carping--ultralite channel catting---maybe catch old hairlip:D

on the ss minow:)

11. Sounds good to me, I know the kids will be up for it! Let me know. Hey, maybe we can use up the bait your still holdin' :D

12. Thanks for all the great info guys! I'll let ya know how we do!!!!

13. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I would definitely just go to the lodge and walk down the path in the back to the lake. There is a paved area where you can fish. I have caught many crappie right there. Just use minnows and a bobber, good luck and have fun.

14. The Sugar camp is good, around the docks by the marina is also very good as previously noted. The big thing for Acton Lake Bluegill are waxworms. That's where I take my kids and they love the waxworms there. I've actually had better luck from the boat docks than I have from Sugar camp. The boat dock by the lodge is also good as someone mentioned but it will be a pretty good walk from the parking lot. If they have never been there before, take them to the nature center by the docks. A lot of neat things to see and animals to look at. There also is a deer pen along the road leading from the marina to the beach where kids can see the deer up close. Just some things that can add to your little fishing trip.

15. Skooky

Skooky Fish Wizard

I found this at crappie.com concerning Acton Lake water level and reports of work being done on the ramps or docks.

"We spoke with a wildlife officer today while fishing at Rush Run and learned that Acton Lake (Huston Woods) has been drawn down four feet to that the boat ramps can be rebuilt. He said that it is difficult, if not impossible, to launch a boat right now.
    On the up side of that, he said you can see structure that hasn't been seen in years, including the foundation of the old Huston house off Sugar Camp. He also said that fishing in the pool below thedam shoudm be very good right now. We'll check that out this week and report back.
    Recent electro-shock studies have shown that last year's saugeye stocking in now producing fish up to 13 inches.

:( You can read the entire thread here-- Crappie.com

16. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

I hope they get the water level back up so the spawn isn't ruined.
    In that post at crappie.com someone mentioned Gov Taft maybe closing that lake. I'd like to see the amount of money the state gets from us fisherman and boaters. Heck I bet that if you count the boats at Caesar's Creek that place should have a lodge and parking areas for boats!
    Let's hope he doesn't close this lake. I haven't fished Acton in years but it could be a really nice little lake.

I heard someone tell me that they had a big crappie kill from fertilzer runoff a few years back. Like I said I haven't fished there in a long time. I do know this, if you like to catfish you need to go fish just to the right of the ramps (standing on the ramp looking at the lake). I saw two guys there once and they had a stringer of nice cats. One guy said to the other guy as he was leaving... "just remember, if it rains and this water gets muddy you'll find me right here pulling in some big cats".
    Fletch

17. How do they just "close" a lake? Will the rope it off and prohibit fishing? Quit dredging so basically it turns to a swamp?

18. Hey, Skeeziks, I haven't been to Action lake lately, But I remember a fishing pier right by the sugar house. that I caught a few crappie, And saw a very nice bass caught there once. as you look onto the pier, I was told there was xmas tree fish attractors on the left side, That was where I had the best luck. and right at the end of the pier is where I saw the bass caught. a for sure 4 pounder.

19. What is going on with our state. Jason 6644, If they ever would shut down Action lake, ( Is that Possible). I have a feeling the people, In charge, Taff and his pal's, would sell the area to the highest bidder, For the best of the people of Ohio "LOL" and in turn; it could be come future home sites I can only dream about.

20. Anyone know if the water level is back up at acton or when it goes back up to summer pool