Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any current reports if anyone has fished Acton lately? I was there a couple weeks ago, water was muddy and high with a lot of debris, ramps were open but mud covered.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Sorry Tom. I was hoping to get there this week looking for bait but didn't make it. I'll be chasing kitty cats tomorrow at Rocky Fork will report later

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tom - I was there on Sunday. Water was still muddy then and about 45 degrees, but water levels had receded closer to normal and there wasn't much flow coming in. I'd suspect temps may have dropped some this week. I didn't see too much debris in the water, but the ramps themselves were full of debris.
They were conducting safety checks at the ramps last weekend, so make sure you've got everything you need including your distress flag.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,592 Posts
I was there last Sunday afternoon. Water was about 47 degrees where we were. Muddy but not much debris. Ramp was silted in and lots of wood and what not there. We got the safety check done also.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was there last weekend thinking it should be back to normal in a week or so. It sounds plenty fishable now. Thanks for the heads up on the inspections I guess its that time of year again. I did some upgrades on the ship and want to get her on the water to work out any bugs. I will report back if i can find some crappie!;)

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a decent day at Acton, water temp was 46 with about 1ft disability, NE winds slowly picked up as the day went on. I started around 10:30 and called it a day around 3:00, took home 10 keepers and probably went through 20. Couldn't figure a pattern, I first targeted the main channel and did ok pushing minnows 12ft down in 16fow. After seeing a bank fishermen reeling in one after another. I decided to look shallow, so I parked it on a decent drop off from 8ft to 14ft this yielded the most bites and fish. I trolled the dam and fish were stacked(winter pattern) but could only get a hand full to commit. I believe once the water warms a bit it will be on at Acton. It was good to be on the water today!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I had a decent day at Acton, water temp was 46 with about 1ft disability, NE winds slowly picked up as the day went on. I started around 10:30 and called it a day around 3:00, took home 10 keepers and probably went through 20. Couldn't figure a pattern, I first targeted the main channel and did ok pushing minnows 12ft down in 16fow. After seeing a bank fishermen reeling in one after another. I decided to look shallow, so I parked it on a decent drop off from 8ft to 14ft this yielded the most bites and fish. I trolled the dam and fish were stacked(winter pattern) but could only get a hand full to commit. I believe once the water warms a bit it will be on at Acton. It was good to be on the water today!

Nice, Looks like a fish fry tomorrow !
Shallower was key for me today on Cowan also (no crappie) but I agree we just need a few warm days to bring em really shallow, cant wait !
Good luck and Good fishing !

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Tom 513........at GLSM we were at 44 degree water 7-10 days ago. Was up there Friday morning......water temp was a frigid 36.8 and 2 of my best crappie spots iced over! Lot of shad didn't take well to sudden temp drop, now dying in big numbers. Slow moving shad in process of dying are easy targets for crappie.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom 513........at GLSM we were at 44 degree water 7-10 days ago. Was up there Friday morning......water temp was a frigid 36.8 and 2 of my best crappie spots iced over! Lot of shad didn't take well to sudden temp drop, now dying in big numbers. Slow moving shad in process of dying are easy targets for crappie.
Zara, I need to get up to glsm some spring for the crappie. Lol wife just said our freezer only has crappie fillets in it, and I don't see that as a problem

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Zara, I need to get up to glsm some spring for the crappie. Lol wife just said our freezer only has crappie fillets in it, and I don't see that as a problem

Have you ever heard of anglers spider rigging for perch? If our perch population gets going as expected over next 2-3 years, GLSM might become a popular destination for those who spider rig. You wouldn't mind giving the wife a new freezer option would you? If you make it to GLSM for crappie, don't be surprised if you get a bonus. Hope you test the water......

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you ever heard of anglers spider rigging for perch? If our perch population gets going as expected over next 2-3 years, GLSM might become a popular destination for those who spider rig. You wouldn't mind giving the wife a new freezer option would you? If you make it to GLSM for crappie, don't be surprised if you get a bonus. Hope you test the water......
Zara I know very little about Perch fishing, besides they are normally on the bottom, which may be catastrophic to a spider rigger, you would get a kick out of seeing a guy with 12 poles out hit a unexpected shallow area, kind of like a Chinese fire drill he gets busy real quick. I like spider rigging for crappie but its not always the best option, yesterday was a good reminder to me that sometimes using your electronics and patients can pay off more than covering as much water as possible. Obtw my extra freezer failed last month, it contained most of the chickens we butchered last fall, and a deer from a couple years ago the smell was unreal, my wife wouldn't even go into the basement till I did a hazmat type clean up! yuck

·
Registered
573 Posts
Zara I know very little about Perch fishing, besides they are normally on the bottom, which may be catastrophic to a spider rigger, you would get a kick out of seeing a guy with 12 poles out hit a unexpected shallow area, kind of like a Chinese fire drill he gets busy real quick. I like spider rigging for crappie but its not always the best option, yesterday was a good reminder to me that sometimes using your electronics and patients can pay off more than covering as much water as possible. Obtw my extra freezer failed last month, it contained most of the chickens we butchered last fall, and a deer from a couple years ago the smell was unreal, my wife wouldn't even go into the basement till I did a hazmat type clean up! yuck
Just wondering. Is there a state law regulating how many rods one fisherman is permitted to use or can you do whatever you want? I have never seen this addressed on this site & am just curious.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That post is hilarious! For the record, GLSM is one big shallow flat. Wherever you fish you are close to bottom...takes no special effort.. Middle of water column and rarely are you more than foot/foot and half from bottom.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sickofit, 2 poles in Ohio, 3 Indiana and unlimited in Ky, We usually run multiple hooks/jigs when in Ohio, after Spring I wonder out of state a lot.

·
I'd rather be fishing
371 Posts
Anyone have a recent water temp or know of a website that records it? I’m planning on getting out there tomorrow. First trip of the year.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Thank ya sir. Better than I expected. Will post results
bw.....hope you didn't take my number seriously. Was being sarcastic. More likely low 40's, but I'm clueless. Pretend I didn't respond. Someone will chime in.

·
I'd rather be fishing
371 Posts
bw.....hope you didn't take my number seriously. Was being sarcastic. More likely low 40's, but I'm clueless. Pretend I didn't respond. Someone will chime in.
Haha! I did actually. I’ve been living under a rock the past few months renovating the house. You could’ve said 65 and I might’ve believed ya. I mean CC is 48 so that’s not that far off..

I’ll have a temp tomorrow

1 - 20 of 54 Posts