Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made it out for the first time this year...been busy with work...anyways, only managed one, but had 4 or 5 short bites where the fish bit the tail off, so i bit the head of the worm off to make bait shorter, ended up catching one 10'' largemouth. I was using the berkley gulp blue flake worm. I usually use zoom worms, but i wanted to try something new. These definately don't last as long as the zooms, as i went through 5 of them in 3.5 hours of fishing. All went well till I when to head back to the ramp, started my motor, took off, and the motor stalled out, and then again, and then it finally woudln't start. I think i fouled a plug, and i didn't have a spare with me, On a not so windy day i would have used my trolling motor to get back, but it was really windy today, white caps on th channel.so some kind guys from fairfield towed me in, thanks a ton if your on here.

J

·
Registered
412 Posts
I fished action lake today also and only caught one small crappie. It sure was slow today the water temp was 64 and the water was a little muddy from all the rain. We managed to get off the lake just before the rain. I was still good to get out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi guys.
I caught about 15 earlier in the week. I used road runners
(slow trolling) accross from the lodge in the deeper 6 to 12 ft
of water.

Black with Chartreuse was the color that they seemed to be hitting on.

I also tried minnows without a bite the whole morning. I tried every depth and structure I could find with no luck!

The females all had firm eggs with just a hint of red in'em.

Gloves up!
Rick.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We were back out there today and caught 10 crappies. We got all ours drifting deep water using a jig with a minnow. We didn't see very many fish being caught. We did see a guy fishing for bass catch a nice saugeye. I believe it will be another week before they move into shallow water.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Wally,
I almost went out this morning, but I felt the storm that crossed SW-Ohio would keep the already muddy Acton lake, just that... muddy!
I know the Saugeye don't mind it a bit, hopefully when I get off work in the morning; the wind, and the lack of sleep won't be an issue.

I agree the Crappie are almost ready, right now I think they are playing hide, and seek!

Rick.

FYI for everybody:
I'll be working the MMA fights - Friday May 4th
at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey Wally.
What side of the lake did that guy catch the Saugeye on, and was
the wind hitting the bank?

Rick.

·
Elroderator
476 Posts
Fished Acton on Sunday the 29th. I was a little skeptical starting out in the morning when I looked at the US Surface map and saw the the entire midwest was surrounded with High Pressure. Oh well I was going fishing anyway.

So started out fishing at 6:50 AM. Conditions were very nice except for the BP which was around 30in and rising. Water Temp was 60.6 no wind and about 50 degree air temp. Wouldn't you know it people from Piqua having a bass tourney. Well good thing i wasn't bass fishing. I fished literally every where on the lake dam side. I started at the dam and trolled my way back past the lodge in search of crappie and managed to catch 5. Not a single fish had any size to it. I tried everything black / char twister tail, Pearl swimmin minnow, smoke speckle sliders, every color you could about think of and no steady fish. The only thing I didn't try was live minnows (I can't even remember the last time I did use live minnows over there) Going again after a Dr. APT on Tuesday (I hope anyway!)

·
Registered
412 Posts
He caught the saugeye near the dam across from the lodge fishing around a tree that was in the water. We was casting some kind of crank bait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts