Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crappie and saugeye bite was great. Crappie with size are in 6-12 ft of water. Small schools are up on the bank in brush piles. I'm not into catching 7" crappie or going through 50 in an attempt to get 15 keepers. I try to avoid that at all costs. Out of the 22 crappie I caught, I only had 3 under 9". Caught around 15 saugeye. Most were 12-14". Got 3 keepers total, none were giants. Several of the large crappie I caught came on cranks while targeting saugeye. The remaining good sized crappie came on 3" grubs (white and chartreuse). All saugeye came on cranks and crawler harnesses. Great time to get out to that lake! Water was 62-63. Good luck everyone. Will post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Very nice. Ive got the catfish and crappies kinda figured out but not the saugeyes. Great job. Were you targetting a certain depth or structures for the saugeyes? Trolling or drifting or casting?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trolling. Every saugeye hit came from a bait that was bumping bottom. 6-12 feet of water. I was marking a lot of fish in 16-24 feet. I tried slow trolling some crawler harnesses through them with no luck. I will say the saugeye that were up in 6-12 feet were aggressive. With the exception of the pale one on top. He had 0 fight. Had a large jig stuck in his lower jaw. His whole mouth area was pretty discolored. Got him trolling a crawler harness on a bottom bouncer about .8mph. Next up on my list is to try some leeches out in deeper water. I think I am going to try to slow drift & troll them on a death roll harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts