Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this email from ODNR:

Horsepower Limits to be Removed on Cowan Lake in Clinton County and Acton Lake Located in Preble and Butler Counties

After considering public input gathered over the past year through public forums, e-mails, and other methods, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources plans to adopt the a new lake management strategy that will allow watercraft powered by more than ten horsepower to access and utilize two lakes managed by the Division of Parks and Recreation, provided that they only operate at idle speed. These lakes include, Cowan lake in Clinton County and Acton lake located in Preble and Butler Counties. This new strategy will be implemented as a pilot program to be tested and evaluated for a two year-period beginning with the 2014 boating season. Before the change is adopted, there will be a formal public hearing and comment period. In addition, the proposal will be considered by the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review (JCARR) which oversees the administrative rule process for state agency regulations.

There are a handful of lakes here in Ohio that were changed to unlimited hp at no-wake speed on a trial basis a few years ago. This management strategy has been very successful at the lakes where it was implemented; Knox lake, La Su An, Oxbow, Rupert, and Burr Oak. Since the initial trial period, Harrison lake has also adopted the unlimited, no-wake regulation. Because of these successes and public interest in allowing the same type of operation on other lakes around the state, the Department has determined that this regulatory change is appropriate for both Cowan and Acton lakes.

The proposals are driven primarily by the desire to provide equal access with reasonable restrictions. Power boaters, regardless of the amount of horsepower, contribute to the maintenance and facility development of waterways all around the state through registration fees and excise taxes, but are prohibited from using many of the state’s waterways. Additionally, there are secondary local economic benefits to allowing a more diverse boating population in an area; more business for local restaurants, bait stores, convenience stores, marine services, in addition to increased fuel sales.

Public comments and recommendations, along with public safety, recreational opportunities, regional economics, and environmental factors are some of the key components considered during the development of a lake management plan. The Department’s primary focus is to preserve the unique character of the boating experience on each waterway, while providing the best possible service to the boating public and local communities.

For additional information contact Ohio State Parks at [email protected] or by phone at (614) 265-6510.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Thank you!!! awesome news, I kept hearing DNR was gonna back it but hadn't heard anything formal...

Salmonid

·
Registered
187 Posts
I see a Catfish Tourney on Cowan Lake coming soon. Let's Start getting a date together Mark. I will bring the Scales.

·
Registered
239 Posts
HAHA I just installed a trolling motor with way more thrust than i needed to get to the other end of acton fast.....Still good news.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Looks like I can sell my 16 ft'r with the 9.9 kicker now...LOL I still wont believe it until its a done deal...

Salmonid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.