Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
arrived at lake about 8am today as it started really raining so me and my best friend Jeff waited it out in the truck for about a little over an hour before we launched and were fishing around 10:00 after castnetting some fresh shad near the ramp. water was fairly clear and 79+ degrees. Moved out to mid lake and started fishing for channel cats and my buddy doesn't get out much so we baited his rods first and before he got his second one out he landed a 3 lb channel cat, good deal, skunk off him and boat!! rain was still coming down but lighter at this point but we immediately got into some pretty good fish as we ended up with around 25 channels from 2+ lbs up to one decent fish around 8.25 lbs, with another 4-5 between 5-6.5 lbs so a pretty good day with my buddy landing lots of fish. Noticed by the time we got back to ramp around 1:30 that upper part of lake was chocolate and rising as we left, from the creeks up several feet and blown out, should be great fishing for cats the next day or so!!

all fish caught or fresh or frozen shad

Salmonid

·
Registered
239 Posts
arrived at lake about 8am today as it started really raining so me and my best friend Jeff waited it out in the truck for about a little over an hour before we launched and were fishing around 10:00 after castnetting some fresh shad near the ramp. water was fairly clear and 79+ degrees. Moved out to mid lake and started fishing for channel cats and my buddy doesn't get out much so we baited his rods first and before he got his second one out he landed a 3 lb channel cat, good deal, skunk off him and boat!! rain was still coming down but lighter at this point but we immediately got into some pretty good fish as we ended up with around 25 channels from 2+ lbs up to one decent fish around 8.25 lbs, with another 4-5 between 5-6.5 lbs so a pretty good day with my buddy landing lots of fish. Noticed by the time we got back to ramp around 1:30 that upper part of lake was chocolate and rising as we left, from the creeks up several feet and blown out, should be great fishing for cats the next day or so!!

all fish caught or fresh or frozen shad

Salmonid

How deep where you you catching them? Thanks fishing there all night tomorrow night.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mid lake around 8-10 FOW I would also say the upper end with muddy water pouring in would also be good this evening! Good luck

Salmonid

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You guys put a whipping on the kitties. Nice work once again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I didnt do near as good as you salmonoid, do you fish on the bottom or suspend your bait? and to top it off i dropped my truck keys in the lake by the ramp so i had to do some diving for them at about 10 pm lol..

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we do both, put some on the bottom and some up about a foot, both seemed to do equally as well. The key is to locate where the fish are each time out, lately they been near the bouys/pipeline but that can change in an instant...LOL Sometimes they are deeper and sometimes they are shallower, they move more then most people think. Acton is a easy lkae to find them because the lake uniformly goes from shallow to deper all the way across the lake so start shallow and just keep moving deeper in maybe 4 ft increments, start in 4-5 FOW if nothing move to 8-9 fow then to 12-13, then 16-17 and lastly o the 20 fow area, I doubt youll get much deeper then that with the thermocline this time of year.

Salmonid

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been bass fishing my little heart out there when ever I can and havent had a large hit in weeks :confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mark, we were out on a pontoon bout the time you were there. Didn't see you, though. We caught a 2lb-er on a rooster tail. I think he was lost. :)

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it. -Abraham Lincoln

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anglerette, keep at it, the fish are there, I hear about them from all the bass guys every time Im out there.
Ghurlag, you buy a boat or renting this time?

Boston, Id be happy to take you out sometime, drop me a PM and I can show you some good tips on catching the cats out there.

Salmonid

·
Registered
220 Posts
We rented. Probably still 1-2 years out on buying

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it. -Abraham Lincoln

1 - 11 of 11 Posts