Action Lake 9/10

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Wally Diver, Sep 11, 2007.

1. I fished Action lake yesterday morning and only caught 2 small crappie and 1 small saugeye on a blue and gold jig and twister tail tipped with a minnow. I wanted to go back this morning but when I got up it looked like rain and was very windy. Is anyone out there been catching any nice size saugeyes out of there? If so what kind of bait are you using?

2. I caught a nice one Sunday morning while it was raining. I was bass fishing using a white shad crankbait out in about 10 FOW, near the lodge cove. He was about 18 inches, good fighting and good eatin'. When I try for them with worm harnesses I get skunked but sometimes catch one on accident... go figure. I was told that the best place to target them would be over the spillway, due to the nature of the saugeye to prefer running water.

3. I've tried the spillway a few times and only caught small catfish. Last year I caught a bunch of them off the rocks across the dam in 20 FOW. I'm going again tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll get lucks.

4. I fished this morning and caught 7 crappie, 1 bluegill, 2 catfish one 20 inches and a 16 inch saugeye. The lake is very low maybe 3 feet and they are dredging close to the boat ramp and it makes it hard to get in and out. The water temp was 75 this morning but it warmed up as the day went on. The eye was caught trolling a glass shad rap. The crappie were caught in 15 to 18 feet of water. I watched several deer coming down to drink this morning it was a nice morning to be out.

5. Don't use the double wide ramp! I got my trailer stuck there over the weekend because of the low water and the drop off just past that ramp. My trailer is bent slightly and the hitch is destroyed, I'm replacing it tonite. If it weren't for a couple of duck hunters getting in the water and using a piece of wood to help me get my trailer out of the water, I'd probably still be there, smoking my tires, I spent over a half hour trying to get it out, tearing up my truck...make sure you don't put your trailer in any deeper than you need to in order to launch your boat. we need some rain...

6. The guy running the dredge warned me about the double ramp yesterday. He said several people have had problems there. I was on the lake again this morning by 8:30 and off at 1:00 I caught 10 nice crappie this morning one was 12 inches long. All were caught trolling crank baits. I was fishing for saugeye. There were two guys bank fishing at the dam this morning and they were tearing up the crappie.

7. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Any more updates on the ramps? I have never been there but I am thinking about hitting it this weekend. Are single ramp and double ramp next to each other or are they at different locations?

8. Yes they are next to each other. The lake is very shallow at the boat ramp some places are only 2 feet deep and your prop will churn up the mud be careful and watch out for parts of trees that are half submerged.

9. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Thank you for the response. Now I am thinking twice about going incase my trailer gets banged up or stuck.

10. go somewhere else...i've been there twice in the last 2 weeks and for my efforts have had one small bass that shook me off on a crankbait. I've thrown senkos, spinnerbaits, kreatures, even jigs in deep water. The same thing happened to me last year...I'm no pro but for some reason I just can't seem to catch bass there in the fall, millions of shad everywhere, but never catch any bass this time of year. The lake is down about 3', water temps still around 77 as of yesterday.

11. ive been getting them on jig n pig