close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Abu Garcia 6501 C3 question?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by larryfish, May 25, 2004.

1. I have a 6501 C3, the level wind gets stuck on the right side of the bar. Does anyone know what part or parts that need to be replaced.

Thanks,

LarryFish

2. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

3. I shot them an email this morning.

LarryFish

4. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

the gears that drive the level wind. They are in the side with the clicker. I had a 6500 do that to me a few years back. Took apart, inspected and cleaned numerous times, couldn't fix it. Put it away for a year or so. Took it out again and gave it one more shot, noticed a tooth that gear had broken off and jammed itself into the next gear. ordered about $2 in parts, works perfectly now.

5. They told me that I need a Pawl and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new worm gear too. I have the part number for the worm gear, but still trying to figure out exactly which part is the pawl?

Thanks for the help you guys Worm Drowner & Shuvlhed1. :D

FishOn!

LarryFish

6. The part # for the pawl is # 5176. This is a wear item. Cost is $2.26 at Southwest parts and service. http://www.fishingreelrepair.com/frames.asp
    Follow this link and click on reel parts. You can then pull up a schematic for that reel. Look under the level wind mechanism and there is a cap with a slot in it for a screwdriver. Unscrew it and you can pull out the pawl. It is just the piece that rides in the worm to drive your level wind back and forth. Put a lillte oil on it and reassemble. Then put a small amount of oil on the worm.

7. I can't believe how many times I've had my 6501's and 5501's apart and never noticed the slotted cap under the level wined?

Last night I took the cap off, cleaned the worm gear & pawl. I then put it all back together putting in the pawl 180 degrees opposite of how I took it out. One side of the pawl looked a little more worn than the other. Added a little oil and wala! Smooth as silk.

Thanks for the link and the part number too. I'm going to go ahead and order a couple of pawls just have them. Nothing is more frustrating than being on a fishing trip and having your gear go down.

Thanks very much leeabu,

FishOn!

LarryFish

8. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

just ordered parts from fishingreelrepair.com. Easy enough to find what part ya need but I wish they would just put my parts in an envelope and I'd pay 37 cents for shipping. lol Shipping was almost more than the parts. Thanks for the link and 6500 info.

bill

9. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

Doesn't Garcia repair their reels for next to nothing and have them on the back to you in 48 hrs........thats the way I used to have them repaired......2 day priority insured to them....ups on the return...

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Not sure if they do or not. Reel is useable just needs to be right. Would be nice to send it away and get it done.

bill