close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

About to buy first steelhead rod

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by BigSteve, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

I'm just getting into steelhead fishing after going with a buddy a few times. I've been using his 9ft GLoomis, and want to buy a rod of my own. My question is what type of acion i should be looking for in a rod? Light,MediumLight,or Medium? We were using 8lb main line so i think medium might be to heavy. Is light to light? Not sure if I'm going to buy something in the 9ft or 10ft lengths yet. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. go with at least a 10 ft or more.its so much easier with the longer rod,as for action.try them out,everyone has different taste on wath they like.

3. I use a 10'6 and like it. I've used 8'6 to 9'0 ian in the past, and you can definitely tell the difference. I personally think a medium light is perfect for drifting under a float and fighting steelhead in just about any type of water.

4. Considering the powerfull runs that steelhead will make when hooked, and the fact that you will likely be using a lower pound test leader line, it is essential to have a long and limber rod to absorb shock and protect your line from snapping. The optimum steelheading rod is long, with slow action, with nothing over medium light power. G-Loomis makes some outstanding steelie rods, but they come with a big price tag as well.

John

5. Don't know what your budget limit is, but the new St. Croix avid steelhead rods are pretty nice for the price. The 2008 line (redone to provide lighter rods with a bit more length) is an improvement over the prior models. Weight and action is much better than their 'wild river' rods. I have been using the 10' 6" avid since they released it late last fall. Most are a bit over 200 bucks.

6. I use a 10'6" and I dont think i'll ever go shorter. The advice I was given when I looked for my first rod was go to the store, choose three ML rods that like. One that is lighter, one heavier and one in between and go with the middle one. Steel Cranium is right, the new St. Croixs are nice and I dont think I have heard a bad thing about them although the new style is relatively new.

7. You don't have to spend over $60 to get a good steelie rod. I have a Berkley around $100, and another one that I got for $50. I prefer using the $50 one. If you are going to invest in something, I would put the money in a reel with a smooth drag.

8. BigSteve

BigSteve Member

I appreciate all the great replies,like I said I'm new at this and am trying to soak up as much info as I can. Don't have real big budget but could probably spend around a hundred bucks, was thinking about a fenwick or maybe even one from the berkley line like archman suggested. Again i thank you for great responce, I'm a new member to this site but have been reading the forums for awhile now and I know alot you guys really know what your talking about. Hope everyone has a real good day, and good luck out there.

9. I bought a St. Croix steelhead rod (9') in 1989 from the rodmakers shop. Even though I had to replace the tip a few times (chipping ice during the winter caused the inner guide to crack), I still have and use this rod. Recently replacing it for steelhead with a longer rod (10.5'), I still use the older rod for river smallies and Erie walleyes from the piers. I would recommend the St. Croix due to the durability, with my heavy rod (12 months of the year) still holding up with many encounters with trees and bridges.

10. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Don’t know where you live but in northeast Ohio there are two great tackle shops that can help set you up with a rod that will fit your fishing style and price range. Talk to Craig at Erie Outfitters or Frank at the Rodmakers Shop. Both of them know their stuff and will treat you right.

Personally, I have an 11’ 6” Browning Gold Medallion noodle rod that I use. It’s rated for 2-4 lb lines but I generally use 6lb when steelheading. As previously stated the longer rod help with drag free drifts and the lenth absorbs the shock so a lighter line can be used. I also use it for crappie fishing to plunk a minnow next to a stump or wood piling so it gets used year round. The only down side is if the line wraps around the tip you need to go into the next zip code to unravel it although I usually just take the top portion of the rod off, fix it and put it back together.