Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always assumed I was right, but lets see if I am. I usually use the 00 dipsy's which can go to 35' down. Now if I need to go deeper I just sorta do the math from the chart incease the line distance and I assume I'm runnning in the 40' to 45' depth. Does this actually work or do the dipsy's not really dive past the 35' mark. Plan on getting some 01 dipsy's anyway, just wanna know if I've been making mistakes and could've put more eye's in the boat.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I haven't run the 00 for years, but an easy way to tell is go head out into 40/45 foot of water and run your line out and see if you hit bottom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The general consensus on maximums of nearly all dive curves is there is a line length out that you hit a max depth and the bow and drag of the excessive line actually pulls the diver/bait/etc back up. Lots of variables can change that though....line diameter, braid vs mono vs wire, speed, current, etc. With what little information you've provided it sounds like a #1 dipsey will be your most efficient method of getting deeper than 35'.

Good luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
The size 1 Dipsy is best suited for depths of 35 - 55'. Yes they can be run deeper but it requires settings no higher than 2, and line out is excess of 125'. Longer drop lengths increase the probability of problems from currents, small fish and less than perfect driving.

I've caught fish on them as far back as 225' (set at 1.5 in 75' of water), but I wouldn't want to try to do that all the time. Line was 40# PowerPro.

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
I agree with Eric. more line doesnt exactly mean more depth..
To add to the more line..it will be a lot harder to get a good hook set with the mono stretching that is.. ( i am not a firm believer in the snubber thing)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The best comparsion I heard a long time ago was imagine letting line out on a kite. at a certain point it starts to get a big bow in the line. The same effect occurs at certain lengths on every lure.

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank's guys, since I've been getting better at fishing I started to think I was wrong, good to get some feedback on it though. This probably explains why I did crappy my 1st time at geneva last week, I left my only big dipsy at home and the eye's were deep. Time to go to the store.

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I got some time I'll try to test it out like misdirection mentioned, I'll post what I find. Running 30# braid.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of people seem to be reporting great success with in line weights as well as wire...don't get too caught up in just dipsy's. I also just read WorkDog's feedback to Sherman about some fish seeming higher (20-25') in the morning and deeper (35-50') later in the morning...

·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I usually do a good water colum spread in the morning until I figure out the active depth, been running tru-trips off the big boards and I've been wondering if weights would be better. I'm not sure it would matter with that set up though. What do you guys think on that weight's or tru-trips on boards?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Based on the reports so far this year, in line weights with in line boards have been doing very well this year. I don't run in line weights to often and recently pulled out the wire rods and have been transitioning over to them. I've had good results with true trips off the boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts