close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

About dip baits...big cat bait?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by GoneCatchin, Jul 17, 2005.

1. GoneCatchin

GoneCatchin I hooked myself!

From what I've been reading...dipbaits and pre formed dough balls yield results but usually for smaller cats. So what baits would people recommend for huge lunkers? Since I dont eat any of the fish I catch, I might as well catch the biggest one possible since it's going back in the wateranyway!

2. Predator225

Predator225 Predator225

Are you targeting big channels or flatheads? For big channels, cut shad has worked quite well for me in years past. For flatheads, big livebait is the ticket. Big bluegills or other sunfish, big goldfish, bullheads (my favorite), an big chubs. Try and 'match the hatch' too, present baits that are native to the area you are fishing. of course, you have to fish areas that hold big fish, too. Dip baits seem to work on channels up to about 5 lbs, occasionally a 8-10lber has come callin', but that is usually a bonus catch.

JB

3. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

For big cats, go with live fish as Predator stated. You can catch channels on a whole bluegill too. Usually cut bait works well because all the fish oil and blood oozes out and helps bring the cats to the bait.

Dough baits work alright. I have caught 2 5lbs cats on them this year and the rest has been in the 2-3 lbs range. My 8 and 10 lbs cats from last weekend came on hot dog, can you believe it?? Hot dog!! (I could not get any bluegills to bite so I had to be creative.)

You can also try putting different baits on each rod and see what works. When I setup, I put the dough bait (Magic Bait "Crawfish and Blood") on one rod and cut bluegill or hot dog on the other rod. I always try to cast close to some coverage as I have this thinking (maybe wrong or right but it has not failed me yet so far) that if I cast to coverage where it allows the cats to ambush prey I would have more luck of catching them. This does not always apply as sometimes I may fish where there really are not any coverage and you just gotta hope that cats are close by or scavenging around looking for food.

4. I have caughten some big channels close to 9 pounds on dipbait, but dipbait is more of a numbers bait. Use cut shad,bluegill,or creek chubs for big channels. I never really had any luck at all on pre-made doughballs.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

fresh cut shad for channlel cats and flatheads.