close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? About Chickens & Ducks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Ok, first off do any of you raise them? My parents did when we were kids. We usually had around 20 laying hens and about 60 to be butchered a year. We got 9 chicks and 3 ducks from TSC 3 weeks ago. The ducks are growing like weeds and are as messy as any thing I have ever seen!! They actually sit on top of the feeder and CRAP in their own food :eek: ! My question is this. How soon before I can turn them loose in the pen we have? They are starting to loose thier down and get feathers but still have a lot of down. I know with the chicks I am waiting until they loose all of thier down before I turn them out.

2. Contact a 4H group in your area.

3. catking

catking Banned

Wait until they get feathers, especially since it's be cool this spring. I raised fighting roosters for years ( yes, it's legal to raise them , but not fight them :confused: :confused: ........) We had hundreds of them. Also raised laying chickens......... Pain in the arse............. THE CATKING !!!

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Thanks for the info fellas. One other question, is there a certain height they like to roost off of the ground? 1 foot, 4 feet? Or will they just roost on whatever is availible?

5. catking

catking Banned

They will roost on anything that will get them the heck off the ground ;) ... THE CATKING !!! :)