close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Tribute To a Warrior and Friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pharley, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

I am writing this as a tribute to a friend and true warrior, who died this morning in the line of duty. I have known Deputy Winfield for many many years, and we served together in our community. Dep Winfield was a Marion County Deputy, and I worked with him as a Marion City Police Officer. He will be sadly missed by everyone. His Dad and Brother are City Officers on our department, and prayers are out to them.

The paper reports that....(the case is still under investigation)....Dep Winfield was investigating an abandoned vehicle blocking traffic near Waldo. He located 2 Hispanic males with a gas can. He began transporting them to their vehicle, and they never heard from him again. The cruiser was found top up in a ravine, and he was shot dead. Any further details are unknown.

R.I.P., we lost a Brother today.

(MARION STAR NEWSPAPER)
    Two suspects are in custody after a local deputy was killed early this morning shortly after radioing headquarters to say he was helping a stranded motorist.

Following a 3:59 a.m. cell phone call from a passerby about a stopped vehicle, Dep. Brandy Lyn Winfield drove to Ohio 423 south of Benzler-Lust Road six miles outside of Marion to check out a white 1993 Chevrolet van that was stopped and abandoned on the road, said Marion County Sheriff Tim Bailey.

Winfield, 29, determined, with help from dispatchers, that two Hispanic males had just left the Duke station a few miles south of the van in Waldo.

Then, at about 4:43 a.m., Bailey said, Winfield called two men walking along the road and he stopped them and called their personal information.

"That was the last we heard of him," Bailey said.

When officials from the Sheriff's Office and the Marion City Police Department went looking for Winfield, they found his cruiser top side down in a ravine south of where the van was stopped at 5:03 a.m.

He had been shot and was still in the cruiser. Stofcheck Ambulance Service took him to Marion General Hospital.

"He was pronounced dead by an apparent gunshot wound," Bailey said.

Bailey said two Hispanic males are in custody and are being questioned. He added that a third person, suspected to have been involved, is in the emergency room at Marion General. Their apprehension followed a statewide alert for the white Chevrolet van, according to a Sheriff's Office news release.

Ohio Department of Transportation authorities blocked the road from Marion-Cardington down to Waldo, said a transportation official on the scene.

Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification, the Ohio State Highway Patrol Marion Post, Delaware Police Department and Delaware County Sheriff's Office also assisted in addition to ODOT, the Sheriff's Office and the police department.

Winfield was a six-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office road patrol, according to the news release. He is survived by a wife and two children. His father and brother are officers with the Marion police department.

The last line of the release is: "The family is well-respected in the law enforcement community."

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Heard this story this morning. What is this world coming to? Our prayers and thoughts are with his family and fellow law enforcement officers. We can only hope these guys get what is coming to them.

3. I could go on and on but I will make no comments besides this world is becoming sick SICK!!!!!!!

my prayers are with the family and you, I wish this stuff would just STOP!!!!!! I'm only 21 and tierd of hearing about all this stuff. Everyday we hear atleast one thing bad happening and thats if we don't watch the news. We watch the news and that is all we see besides sports and weather. I wish I lived int eh past when most of this crap wasn't existent.

I have friends and family whom serve us the community in various ways as well as several GFO members. I don't know what I would do if something happened to one of them.

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND THE FAMILY

4. JBJ

JBJ

I felt my heart deflate as a customer told me about this today at work. My deepest sympathy to the personal and working families of the deputy.

5. i know his family and you have a big hole in your hearts...and my thoughts go out to all who knew him...i to have been down your road...
    a good friend of mine was a columbus cop. his name was marc muncy...
    we would fish the walleye run and fish a lot together... he was on his way to an office needing help so he took the call...on the way there he hit a pallet and jumped the high way divider and hit a truck head on....the next year at the run it took a lot for me to go up...i fished our favorite spot...man i couldnt stop crying but i fished anyway...
    to this day i can still hear him singing in the middle of that river....
    if you or any one in his family would like someone to talk to please email me....
    i know its not a lot but its all i can offer....
    our men and women in blue are very special people....and to have them taken away it hurts us all....may god be with his family and you....
    God speed Deputy Winfield....gods speed...
    fish4wall

6. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i saw this story on tv this morning but they didn't have many details yet.i'm sure sad to hear it now though.
    the man was simply doing his job and shouldn't have lost his life.
    i hope God brings comfort to his family.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Stories like this make you stop & think what all we take for granted. I hope those other SOBS get what they deserve, however the worthless lifes of all 3 of them dont add up to seem like 1/2 as important as the officers.

8. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

The details you've shared about this tragedy saddens me to no end.

These people who put their lives on the line each and every day to protect the public are all heros in my mind. In fact, every time I see an officer out in public, I stop and shake his/her hand and thank them for their service.

There really are some sick/evil people in this world.

9. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Horrible news. My prayers are with the friends and family.

My dad was the chief of Police in a small community and had been in many bad situations. He didn't tell any of us (my sisters and brothers) about the situations he was in when we were young. He was lucky many times. Law enforcement officiers are definatley under-paid..... Most are true heros.

Tee

10. catking

catking Banned

I'm lost for words. This is a sad day, that is for sure. Thoughts are with the family and you Pharley ;) .