Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only worked a half day today and the weather was nice so I figured I'd finally get out catfishing today. I set out a minnow trap, left, got some food, got some Starbucks, came back with some crawlers and was ready to go.

I never did catch anything in the trap, but the rod and reel action was fast. Mostly dinks that got put back, but a few bait size bluegill, a chub, and one small perch. A fun day for sure, but that's not the fun part.

The creek I was fishing was really clear, the water is a little deeper than my waist but I can see the bottom. I'm fishing next to a fallen tree, plopping my worm about 6" from the tree, and not long there'd be something on it. On this particular "cast" I see this guy come from under the tree, I immediately think "What the hell is that!" and immediately my bobber zooms under the water, and this fish starts actually taking out drag (its as light set up but still). I'm thinking I hooked a small largemouth or something but what I actually pull out is this:
Vertebrate Fish Bluegill Bass Green sunfish

This is a Green Sunfish right? I've never caught one even close to this big, never seen one this big not out of a farm pond. This thing went 9 1/4"!

I did end up getting a call saying the dish washer was broke and needed fixed, and only 2 of the fish I caught for bait remained in the bucket as they must have jumped out while I wasn't looking, so I decided to give up on the catfishing for tonight. Still a great day on the creek.

·
Buckeye Angler
68 Posts
I only worked a half day today and the weather was nice so I figured I'd finally get out catfishing today. I set out a minnow trap, left, got some food, got some Starbucks, came back with some crawlers and was ready to go.

I never did catch anything in the trap, but the rod and reel action was fast. Mostly dinks that got put back, but a few bait size bluegill, a chub, and one small perch. A fun day for sure, but that's not the fun part.

The creek I was fishing was really clear, the water is a little deeper than my waist but I can see the bottom. I'm fishing next to a fallen tree, plopping my worm about 6" from the tree, and not long there'd be something on it. On this particular "cast" I see this guy come from under the tree, I immediately think "What the hell is that!" and immediately my bobber zooms under the water, and this fish starts actually taking out drag (its as light set up but still). I'm thinking I hooked a small largemouth or something but what I actually pull out is this:
View attachment 359779
This is a Green Sunfish right? I've never caught one even close to this big, never seen one this big not out of a farm pond. This thing went 9 1/4"!

I did end up getting a call saying the dish washer was broke and needed fixed, and only 2 of the fish I caught for bait remained in the bucket as they must have jumped out while I wasn't looking, so I decided to give up on the catfishing for tonight. Still a great day on the creek.
Healthy looking fish, congrats

1 - 4 of 4 Posts