Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to catfish fish a lot when I was younger. We would use cut bluegill and light fish up at Punderson and some farm ponds. My question is, I want to start fishing for them when the muskies aren't biting. I have the gear, just need some info on where to find fish in big reservoirs. I fish places like Pyma, Leesville, and West Branch, all of which have good catfish populations.

What would be my best bet to start catfishing these places? I know the typical baits work (cut bait, chicken livers, etc.), but what could I keep in my boat to fish for them occasionally without having to catch bait and stuff?

·
Trophy Tamer
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. Is there any artificial or manufactured baits that work well on channel cats? I know there's some manufactured-baits-only tournament circuts. I figured you guys would have the know-how on any manufactured baits.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
you can find several types of prepared baits at gander,wallyworld and other places.some work better thgan others.dough baits,nuggets,etc.
i've found they seem to work better in flowing water,as it helps distribute the scent.

bill dance swears by catfish dynamite,and has done several shows demonstrating it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
ive used dip baits for channels before and have caught them in the river but never tried it in lakes. Seemed like any type of dip bait worked for me when i did use it in the river. Why dont you just buy a jar of the gulp maggots and keep a few # 8 hooks in the boat and when you do want to fish for cats when your on the lake take 10 mins of your time a the boat ramp or a log in the water and catch a dozen of gills. Then you got fresh cut bait. Even better try a castnet keep it in the boat and catch shad. A throw and you got all the cut bait you want plus more. They dont take long to learn You may even be able to start using shad for musky i know alot of guys who use shad on flathead bobbers and catch big strippers.

·
It swims its bait
1,745 Posts
do you have a chub trap? when i know i cant get out to get bait i just drop my trap in a creek overnight or a hour or two and that usually does the trick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts