close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

a potential catfishing spot??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by monsterKAT11, Sep 28, 2004.

1. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

not sure if anyone on here is firmiliar with the area around wright pat. air force base. but there is a dam called the huffman dam over there, i was just curious if anyone knew if that held catfish. and if not what kind of fish does it hold? anyone know anything about it?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Well the problem w/ Huffman is that its on the Mad river, not a catfish river. This spot does hold some cats though. YOu can park down by the railroad brige & walk down, its a few hundred yards from, the actual dam.

3. my grandma lives upstream from the huffman. She has a large private pond and the catfish are huge there. My dad caught a 17 lber there a week ago. So they are around!!!!

4. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

thanks for the info any bait inpurticular you think would be good there, i'm thinking i may try chicken livers or worms that would probably be my best bet

5. Buck Creek has some nice cats in it and it joins into the Mad near Rt. 68.

There are many cats in the Mad - if you know where to look. I used to fish it often years ago with my uncle and we caught quite a few channels. I still float the Mad in a canoe a couple times a year and usually catch some channels. We use softcrawls a lot - you can catch smallies and channels.

Korey - if you want specific info. on what stretches to try for channels pm me. You'd be better off to continue fishing CJ or other lakes if you are looking for size as most fish are under 5#. But if you want to fish a river and catch a few I can help.

Fool

6. H2O Mellon

The turtles will devour your liver there at/near Huffman dam. Some are huge flatshells.

7. H2O is right, the Mad river ave water temps are way too low to support a good spawn of Channels. The fish you are catching are the overflow from Buck Creek which is a warmwater stream, I might add that in the spring, many fish can be caught in Buck creek in Snyder Park since all the smallmouth and everything else move up there to spawn, which is why the smallmouth fishing in the Mad is not as productive as it should be,
    Because the upper Mad is too cold, never above 68 degrees, there isnt a smallie to be found up there. The Mad near Springfield down to Enon is sort of a dead zone, too warm for trout, too cold for smallmouth ( which need 72 degree water to spawn in in May/June) which is why years ago, the ODNR stocked Northern Pike in this stretch, Anyway, the bass are there and can be caught but it will never be a numbers type of smallie stream.
    Also the lower you get to GMR in Dayton, the better your catfishing will be for channels. Huffman lake is chock full of Brown Bullheads though, I caught a few dozen 1 day a few years ago and some were almost 14"

I hope this helps
    Salmonid

H20 Mellon, we need to hook up some time and hit the GMR,

8. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

as far as the GMR goes have any of you had any trouble with idiots bothering you, me and my dad would love to go fish it but he's a little concerned with saftey, you know how it is, how the crazy people come out at night.not infering any of you are crazy but i know there are some exceptions for a few of you ;) hahah. so have any of you had any problem with people bothering you? and where can we go where its pretty safe

9. H2O Mellon

Salmonid, That sounds good. Thanks for the info you gave me a while back!-See I remembered it.

GMR TROUBLE: YES, its extremely rough. I used to fish alot off of Shore rd, that was until the guy got killed by a group ok thugs w/ golf clubs. Thats one reason I wont fish the GMR @ night, to put it plain & simple, most spots are not safe to be at.

10. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

thanks for the warning, its a shame that people like me and my dad can't enjoy doing things we love to do because of people like that. as soon as i gather up more information i'm going to see if its going to be possible for us to put our boat in the water up there and fish for some flatties or some channels. as far as i know, thats the best place for flatties aruond here and thats what i wanna try-for some flatties.
    and as far as the dam, i figured it would be a prime location for some cat. i guess all i can do at this point is try and try somemore. thanks for all the info guys

11. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have to give Bryan Credit, he does know a bad fishing spot, been to many of them with me :D

12. H2O Mellon

Almost fell out of my chair laughing, Jack!

You can request a map form the Miami Valley Conservency of all the fishing spots on the GMR. Its a nice map.

13. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

fished right below the dam yesterday with a few friends, caught a 15 inch carp, other than that, not really anything i'll deffenately be going back, it was a good time. i just hope eventually i can hook into some cat down there. i'll probably slowly start working my way down below the dam, looks like theres some nice snags down there that the cat and other fish would be attracted to.

14. H2O Mellon

I tell ya what, if you & Travis want to go there, let me know & maybe we can hook up on Mon Or Tue and fish for a while there. I know for a fact that we shulod be able to get some 10lb + tutles if nothing else, plus I could show you & Travis some decent spots on the GMR.

15. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

travis has gotta see whats going on but we should be good for that. we're deffenately looking forward to it. we appreciate you willing to take us out for some fishing

16. T-Man

T-Man Outdoors Man

hey mellon, its travis, that sounds pretty cool, we should be able to i just have to check it out with my dad first.

17. H2O Mellon

Tell him to come along.

18. H2O Mellon

Guys since your @ school & obviously have nothign better to do go to this link: GMR MAP

That should help you w/ the GMR a little.

19. T-Man

T-Man Outdoors Man

so were are you at right now man

20. H2O Mellon