Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It finally felt like the season of summer today. The weather was hot and sticky. The water still low and clear. I took a short trip to the river. The fish seem to be real lure shy in these conditions. I found a few fish. I've been getting in a routine of throwing a top water plug to find the fish then work the water with soft plastics to follow up. A few fish took the offering from the top. I found the beautifully camo colored 13 or 14 inch (no measurement) chunk smallmouth on top or it found my plug :D however you want to look at it. Not sure how many smallmouth anglers that visit OGF regularly have yet to try top water? But, if you haven't I urge you to put some time on the water with this lure. It really doesn't get much better. This 14 incher came up strong and choked on the lure really good. It's about as exciting as fishing gets.

The biggest fish of the day turned out to be about as ugly as the other was beautiful. :p This one crunched on a paddle tail. It really put up a disappointing fight for its size. May be because of its deformity, dunno.:confused:

Not a bad day out though, I really enjoyed the sun. The water seems to be changing color to the brown hues due to more leaf matter starting to fall already. Get out and enjoy some outdoors and good fishing while its hot cause old man winter is not to far off.

Rough Lookin 16 incher

Top Water Camo

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've been wanting to improve my topwater techniques. I've tried with minimal success, the bites I have had I seem to lose easily. That camo smallie is a beaut, nice job.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
nice fish on the topwater smb! Ive caught several fish this year with that exact "deformity"...Its like they have scoliosis or something...maybe somethin to look into..either way,,great fish!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts