close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Memorial Day message

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shortdrift, May 24, 2008.

1. I received the following from a friend and wanted to share it with the membership. I have also attached my reply as I see it these days.

Subject: Memorial Day Message
    Chairman of Joint Chiefs sends Memorial Day message

by Adm. Michael G. Mullen
    Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- "Let no ravages of time testify to the present or the coming generations that we, as a people, have forgotten the cost of a free and undivided republic."

With that solemn promise, Army General John Logan signed the order in 1868 that established Memorial Day. We have honored his promise faithfully ever since, and this year -- with our nation still at war and a new generation of heroes fighting and dying for freedom -- we will do it again.

The "cost" of which General Logan wrote is, of course, the blood spilt of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country. It is the hardest currency of all, once spent never to be recouped, a debt we can never truly, fully repay.

And yet, Memorial Day provides us the opportunity at the very least to acknowledge that debt, to recognize this incredible sacrifice and to recommit ourselves to making sure it wasn't spent in vain.

Upon the graves of our war dead - be they from Lexington and Concord; Gettysburg and Antietam; the Argonnes Forest or the beaches of Normandy; Chosin and Inchon; Saigon and the Mekong Delta; Baghdad or Kandahar -- rests not only the memories and the pride of valor past, but the hope and the vision of a better, more peaceful future.

Please join me this Memorial Day in remembering, on behalf of present and coming generations, the deep and abiding debt we owe to our fallen and to their loved ones.

Reply:
    Thanks for this truly great message. It is unfortunate that there are so many young people that have no idea of the price paid for our (their) freedom and they simply see this as another holiday. What is even sadder is the very young have no concept at all of war/freedom but know it only as a video game. I plan to send your message as well as my reply to all my children that they may stop and reflect on how truly blessed we are in this country and what me may be required to do to maintain our blessings. Thanks again and have a safe holiday. Ron

2. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Prayers going out to the men and women who have lost thier lives for this country.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

great message, thanks for sharing it with us. you are right about too many not understanding the true meaning of memorial day.

4. I agree great message, and a big THANKS to the men and women who served past and present.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I thank God for the men and women who have bravely and unselfishly paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

May their sacrifice never be in vain.

6. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers