Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this was a question for the locals.... I'm coming out of western Pa. and will drive over on the turnpike rt 76 past Youngstown. From there which launch would you guys suggest I choose. I am looking to fish there on a regular basis. Even though it's a bit further to the launches on the west side of Cleveland such as Edgewood, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not the most driver friendly from my direction as maybe Mentor would be. So..... which one by: ease of drive, quality of launch/ramp, parking and last but not least..... security or safety of my things at the parking lot while I'm on the water.

I know the fishing can be good at all of the launches but maybe someone prefers one over the other for fishing reasons. Obviously I'm all ears to that input too
Hope you can help. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As far as driver friendly goes - I'd suggest the Rocky River boat ramps - the ramps are nice, the parking lot is huge, and as safe as it gets in terms of boat ramps. Downside may be that its a decent bit of no wake zone down the river to get to the lake, and depending on time of year, it can be far run for walleyes, although a short run for perch. Wildwood is traditionally a good area for perch, although I hear the ramps are getting kinda beat up, and the parking lot there along with edgewater 'could be' less secure. I can't comment on Mentor but I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Banned
99 Posts
I launch out of Wildwood the past 20 years, ramps are just fine and never had a problem with security of my items. In fact, Ive been there 3 times in the past 2 weeks and all 3 times there was a cop lurking around.. BTW, it a free launch. No wake time 2min.

I also launch from Fairport, ramps are all fine and it's 99% secure there. The guy taking your $10 is like 5 feet from where you park. No wake time 1 min.

I live in Mentor and refuse to pay $10 to launch from the ramp my tax dollars helped pay for. Plus to much no wake time.

·
Banned
99 Posts
If your looking for Walleye spend the extra few minutes and hit Hot Waters out of Lorain. Much less time drive time on the boat compared to Wildwood and Mentor.

map Quest from Youngstown

Wildwood/Cleveland 1 hr 18 -- Walleye - 20 miles out

Mentor 1hr 30 min -- Walleye - 18 miles out

HotWaters Lorain 1hr 40 min -- Walleye - 9 miles out

If you are doing Perch, hit Wildwood and either fish by the Linda Mia - Charter Boat in 48 feet NE of the launch or go out to 61 feet for slightly big and better action

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rocky River is free, very secure, a HUGE parking lot, and great ramps. But there is about 10 - 15 minutes of no wake time. It's nice if you wanna look at all of the big boats at CYC. Otherwise you're better off at WildWood or edgewater.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Rocky River is by far the nicest, I've launched at all of them. The only downside is the no wake time and proximity to walleyes this time of year. There is also a bait shop and little restaurant right there, as well as a gas dock. If you want eyes, head to hotwaters.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Suggest you watch the reports and then use the facility closest to the reported area. Edgewater could be a slight security risk depending on the time of day as well as late at knight. East 72nd (Gordon Park) is truly a questionable launch parking area. Just look at all the broken window glass to get an idea of what could happen. Both of these have acceptable ramps, no pristine but very useable. Wildwood has good ramps and the Marina right there provides a certain amount of safety.
Lorain and Sheffield are excellent ramps but Lorain can get very crowded on weekends and Sheffield is quite small.
The best by far is Rocky River. Good ramps and well patrolled by the Metro Park police. A longer ride to the lake but not that bad.
There is a free publication showing all the ramps along the North Shore. I'll try to see if I can dig it up and provide you with the reference.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man thanks a million guys. You too Jeepdude for the pm.

Here's my situation: I own an outfitting business in Montana. I'm leaving by the weekend and will be gone until Thanksgiving. For that reason I can't afford to play the waiting game over in Walnut (pa), Conneaut or Ashtabula every year. It's 130 miles or 2 hours for me to drive to Erie Pa. It's also 130 miles to Cleveland and I live minutes from the turnpike so it's highway all the way. I want to set up shop as far west as reasonable and fish there on a regular basis.

Perching is great over here and I have a friend with a trailer not far from Conneaut. I'm after eyes. It does look like a short shot from I-80 to Lorain up 57 and only 20 minutes more than Wildwood. That's probably far enough west though. Shorter distance to fish is a bonus. Is my truck & trailer secure there? What about a hotel or camping, and fish cleaning/storage?

Where is Rocky River? I should look at Coot's link before I asked but figured there probably isn't directions on there anyway.

Thanks again!

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Black River launch at Lorain is very nice and seems very secure. Costs a few bucks (either $4 or $6, can't recall) and nowhere near the zoo that Hotwaters becomes on a weekend. Only downfall is about 15-20 min. no wake ride to main lake.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I'll give Hot Waters a try. Mostly highway. Free launch. Not much in the way of no wake zone. Seems secure. Plus I recall a fair number of decent reports in the course of the season. That's as far west as I want to go so I'll start there & move east if I see a reason to which I doubt will happen.

Two questions: What point in the early season do you think you can make the shift from the Port Clinton area to Lorain?

How is 57 from I-80 to the launch? How many lanes and what's the speed limit? Better yet.... how long does it take to get from I-80 to the launch?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Looks like I'll give Hot Waters a try. Mostly highway. Free launch. Not much in the way of no wake zone. Seems secure. Plus I recall a fair number of decent reports in the course of the season. That's as far west as I want to go so I'll start there & move east if I see a reason to which I doubt will happen.

Two questions: What point in the early season do you think you can make the shift from the Port Clinton area to Lorain?

How is 57 from I-80 to the launch? How many lanes and what's the speed limit? Better yet.... how long does it take to get from I-80 to the launch?
forget 57 and go 1 more exit to 58...its 8 or so miles to hot waters...80 west to 58 north to 6 east...a few lights and left into hotwaters...nice launsh and pretty close to great fishing...also i stay at amherst motel 6 on 58(you will pas it on way to launch) good secure parking and several resteraunts close

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks mighty warrior! I was looking at that route. 57 takes some turns & is a longer route. Quick shot to the launch, quick run to the fish. Not too worried about weekend traffic. In Pa once you've seen Walnut you've seen it all!

What point in the early season do you think you can make the shift from the Port Clinton area to Lorain?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Go to the Lake Erie Links above the Erie forum and print out the Central Basin GPS Map. You'll likely find it helpful once on the water.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob.... once again you are a great help.

And thanks to COmmodore 64 too!

Guys like you are what makes the OGF site what it is..... the best.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Bob.... once again you are a great help.

And thanks to COmmodore 64 too!

Guys like you are what makes the OGF site what it is..... the best.
It always makes me happy when people use my maps, so, you're welcome. :)

Lately we've been getting off at the 611 exit, to get to Hotwaters. You can take 611 almost all the to Hotwaters. You can also stop at Erie Outfitters if you want, with a slight detour.

·
Wizard of Eyez
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wave Warrior.... if I'm coming across 80 would it be practical to jump on 57 up to 90/2 then go west on 2 to 58? It looks like there's no exit right off of 80 to 58.

611 is to far to the north for me. Good if you're coming in on 90.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts