close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A good question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cheezemm2, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I was wondering about something the last time I looked up flathead pictures and muskie pictures...there are a lot of warnings not to "lip" or gill muskies because of the stress it puts on the fish's vertebrae...Is this the same for flats? I have no idea, and thought it might spark some good discussion for all the muskie and flattie guru's on the biology and internal structure of these two wonderful fish.

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I have wondered about that myself. In college we did a few pond studies and in one private pond we brout in a few 30+ pound grass carp. The first guy to get to them picked one up by his gill covers and one of them tore about an inch! Now myself personally I have never caught a fish that big and for the mnost part I have noticed the guys on here who do either hold them by the mouth (except the musky of course) or have them laying flat for the picture. I seem to remember a guy who post every once in a while on here I beleive his name is carp king or king cat or cat king. Anyway he has a story he can be talked into telling about the "TWINS"!! He might be able to shed some light on the subject!

3. Actually, I thought the pressure would be in the jaw, not the vertebrae, but I'm not sure. With big flatheads, the weight of the fish itself eliminates the option of trying to lip one. Anything other than vertical, two hands are needed.

4. catking

catking Banned

Somebody Called???

Attached Files: