close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A good pair of hiking/packing shoes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ashtonmj, Feb 3, 2005.

1. I am in need of a good pair of hiking and backpacking boots or shoes.
    Does anyone have an suggestions of ones they have or did have?
    Anything I should stay away from?

And is there a pair of zip off nylon pants under 40 bucks? sheesh thats high :eek:

2. catking

catking Banned

I have always purchased " Lands End " shoes for hiking. They are very reasonable in price and durable . THE CATKING !!!

3. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

A lot of good boots out there. I'm on my 2nd pair of Meindl's, bought thru Cabela's. I got 10+ years of hard use out of the first pair, hunting/fishing/hiking & backpacking and never had one problem. They were a bit heavy but extremely comfortable and very waterproof.

4. Vasque Sundowner M2X GTX

I have had a pair of Vasque Sundowners for over 10 years, and they finally blew-up on me a few weeks ago (sole broke in half). Up to that point, they were still watertight, and still looked good. In this single pair of boots have backpacked all over the US (from Maine to Hawaii), Europe, South America, and I have worn them to work everyday for the last 6 years (wore them all through college before that). They are very comfortable, and do not require any break-in period. Vasque is affiliated with Red Wing, and these boots are watertight and extremely durable. They are the only boots that consistently last for the entire Appalachian Trail (according to reviews that I have read). There is simply not another piece of outdoor gear (any category at any price) that I trust more than Vasque boots! They are expensive (around $200), but when you consider how long they last, they are still a bargain. I wanted to buy another pair of the Classics, but found that the newer Sundowner Classics are now made in China, and do not last like the older models made in Italy. However, the M2X are still made in Italy, and have received good reviews. I’m planning to buy a pair here in the next few days, and fully expect them to last for another 10 years.

http://www.rwss.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=7958&Category_Code=

5. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

PHP:
    There is simply not another piece of outdoor gear (any category at any pricethat I trust more than Vasque boots
    :D :D

Vasque boots are very strong. I just bought a pair last fall and WOW are they supportive, and comfy, and waterproof, and nice lookin'!

You get what you pay for!

Winner

6. I have found Merrells to be extremely comfortable. You definitely get what you pay for. I know Vasque and Ecco both have very good reputations also.

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'll second merrell's, i am on my third pair right now.very light and durable for light hiking... ecco also is veeery comfortable.. thats my most important factor when i'm buying shoes..

8. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan