Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Ruggles again today with Walleyeguy. We were specifically targeting walleye and ended up with a bunch of bass, lots of white perch, a sheepshead, several gobies and seven walleyes. Four of the Eyes came on a gold single blade harness that we tie ourselves and three on a mustard Erie Dearie. The bass came on Vib-e's, Kastmaster Spoon and the gold harness.
This is my best bass of the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All too often those of us living close to the Best Darn Fishing Hole in Ohio don't stop and reflect on what a great place Lake Erie is. I should have labeled my post...Another Day To Remember. I have fished this lake for over 60 years and have to be reminded that unlike other lakes, it is not tied to only one outstanding specie of fish. :cool: The abundance and variety of fish available here has to qualify Erie as one of the premier lakes in the world. I hope that someday all the members of OGF will have the opportunity to enjoy the Erie experience. I'll be on Erie again tomorrow and plan to have a Great Day no matter what or if I catch anything. :D
Thanks for reminding me Twistertail. :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So what is the lake like now compared to what it was 10 years ago or 20 or 60 years ago? I hope to have a boat in a few years and be able to fish Erie more often. I get up there a few times a year right now and always have a good time.

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lake Erie is better for fishing than it has ever been. The walleye are abundant and have a better than average size compared to the past as well as larger fish at the top end. I remember when the netters devestate the population and how it bounced back when the nets were eliminated. More and larger smallmouth than ever. Largemouth about the sameas these guys are TOUGH and adaptable. Great perch, on par or slightly better than years ago and certainly better than when netting took all sizes they could get. Steelhead which were not present in the past. White bass are down in population and overall size due to commercial overharvest. Really large sheepshead, the likes of which I had never seen 20 years ago. Crappies seem down in numbers and size than I remember them but it could be I don't pursure them much on Erie anymore. Lots of very large carp. Good channel cat fishing, but I don't know about flatheads other than in the tributary rivers where some large fish are taken each year. We caught a 30 pounder fifty years ago when night fishing for channels. Had that sucker in the bathtub (spare outside) for two days. Alas, we no longer have the blue pike due to commercial netting which wiped them out. Steurgeon as well as musky and northerns are on the upswing. The foreign species brought in by the freighters have made their impact but I can't say whether it will be good, bad, or in some way benificial in the long run. I'll not be around to observe that.
I guess that about sums up how I have seen Lake Erie through the years and as you can tell I think it is positive overall. :) Hope I didn't leave anyone's favorite speciie out.
Last of all, you can see that I am critical of the commercial netters :mad: as they simply do more harm than good as ahs been proven in the past.
All you youngsters (40 and under) should continue to enjoy this truly GREAT LAKE called ERIE for years to come.

I'm stepping down off the podium now and take a nap. :D

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So you think the main reason fishing is better now than what is used to be is because of the limit of commercial fishing? Do you think that the zebra muscles have helped? From what I understand is they filter the water and that the water is cleaner now than what is was years ago, I would think the cleaner water would help the fishing.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Twistertail.

We may need to get Reel Science to weigh in on this subject.

I've seen alot of changes in the Erie fishery over the last 20+ years. The current walleye population is extremely small compared to what it was in the 80's. This can be attributed to years of less than good spawn success. The cleaner water is great for some species, it appears to have really helped the bass, but clearer water also means less nutrients in the water. Less nutirents means that the lake has less capacity to support life.

The current estimated population is around 19 million walleye (it drops everyday that Shortdrift and WalleyeGuy fish) and is expected to jump to as much as 70 million, based upon the continued survival success of the 2003 hatch, when this fish mature to legal size in 2005/2006. The great days of walleye fishing, like the 80's, may be coming back soon.

Ron and I both have the luxury of fishing any part of that lake that we choose. I have expanded from someone that never ventured from the Western basin years ago, to someone that seldom fishes the Western basin anymore. The opportunities for fishing multiple species, all in close proximity, close to shore, from Huron to Conneaut is fantastic. These type opportunites are limited in the Western Basin.

I would not go as far as to say that the fishing today is as good as it's ever been on Lake Erie, but I will say that it is, day in ,day out, by far the best fishery I've ever fished, anywhere from Canada to mexico

·
Registered
48 Posts
I may be a youngster to some (i.e. under 40) but have fished in Lake Erie from the time I was 8 yrs. old with my dad until now....almost 28 yrs. later. I remember casting Heddon Sonars and Erie Dearies back in the '70's and learning the advanced trolling techniques of today ( back in the '90's). I don't know that the walleye fishing is better today....but it seems to be right in there. I also have moved across the lake starting usually in Vermillion and ending up over at the corner of where Pa., Oh., and Canada meet out of Conneaut. It used to be exclusively the islands for walleye when I was a kid. I'm glad it has changed because I have gotten to explore more of this fabulous fishery this way. Every port has it's own character and each holds great memories for me. I know Lundy, Shortdrift, and Walleye Guy fish alot of the same areas I do but have never met any of them. Well, maybe some day soon. I am usually fishing on a 23' Bayliner Trophy that is set up with a mast and planer boards. I also go out with Sara J. Charters out of Lorain a few times a year...this Saturday being one of them. Hope to meet some of you guys sometime....maybe even hook up and fish together for a day. ;)

·
264 Posts
Hi,
Started fish at age 5 in the Maumee 1948 and hit Lake Erie in 1953. Seen the massive fish kill in the Maumee in the 50's and the Walleyes going down hill.Fished the Maumee and Sandusky river from 1961 to 1963 with 0 for walleyes.Started catching Walleyes in the Summer of 1966 in the Sandusky River and in Lake Erie in 1967.Walleyes started coming back in the Maumee in 1968.A good day in the Lake was 6 or 7 Walleyes then.Every year it got better.Right now it isn't as great as it was a few years back but with the Walleyes,Smallmouth,Perch and Steelhead it has more fish per square mile than any of the Great Lakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts