Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April 18th. I picked up my grandson around 09:30. We headed off to my friend’s farm. He has 2 different ponds and one lake that have bluegills and bass. We decided to go to the larger pond since the ground was so wet. He has cattle in that part of his land. that made big hole in the mud . We got our lines in the water around 10:45. The pond was muddy, and a very cool breeze chilled us a little. My grandson hooked a nice bass and was trying to lift it onto the dock when the bass got off. He was set up for bluegills so he had a small hook. I suspect the is why the bass got off. We did catch a few small bluegills but not a lot of action. We put the few fish in a bag, for my friend wanted us to save the fish to feed his barn cats.

11:45 we started walking to the smaller pond that was a good walk across the field. That pond was a lot clearer, my grandson got started as I walked off to the side of the pond. He got 6or 7 bluegills even before I got my line in the water. I got one nice bluegill as he was getting more action I decided to walk back over where he was. I also started hitting them as well. We were using tiny thin red worms for bait. that my friend has suggested we use. My grandson caught a couple of bass one was 12 inches, the other ws around 10 inches. We took one of the small bluegills we had and put it one another rod and tried for bigger bass. I did catch a 7 inch bass on my blue gill rod. 13:00 my grandson checked the weather on his smart phone, he said rain would be showing up in 20 minutes. 10 minutes later it started to rain, so we decided to pack up our gear and head back to the car.

It was a long walk but we made it o.k. not very wet. We had around 25 bluegills to feed the cats so they were happy I am sure. It was a win–win, we had plenty of action and my friend’s cats got food. My grandson beat me again. He caught over25 bluegills and 2 bass. I caught 11 bluegills and one bass we put the larger bluegills back into the pond so we can catch them again. I am certain we would have caught many more if the rains did not cut the trip short. No doubt we will be fishing the pond in the future. My friend was happy with my report of how we did and his cats were getting a lot of food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts