close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Fishermans Aquarium !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Panfish Discussions' started by Fish On, Jun 8, 2005.

1. It's a great way to see if the flies I tie will really catch fish ....LOL!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    THIS CRAPPIE IS TURNING TO CHASE A PINK BLOOD DOT
    [​IMG]
    SLAB CRAPPIE ABOUT TO INHALE A ESTAZ WOLLY
    [​IMG]
    EVEN THE LITTLE GUYS GOT TO EAT ..NOTE THE MINNOW TAIL STICKING OUT OF HIS MOUTH ..LOL
    [​IMG]

10" GILL
    [​IMG]

MONSTER GILL
    [​IMG]

WE FOUND OUT THAT MUD TURTLE WAS A FEMALE ..AFTER SHE STARTED DROPPING EGGS ALL OVER THE TANK
    [​IMG]

2. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Fish On...nice tanks...i have a 90 Gal i am trying to swap out for a 40 or 50 gallon...let me know if your interested.

Mitch

3. Mitch
    I currently have all my fish in 55 gallon tank , and they have plenty of room
    I saw a 150 gallon tank the other day at the local pet shop , that would be sweet , you should have no problem getting rid of a 90 gallon tank , I will check with a friend of mine he maybe intrested

4. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

I will post a full pic of my tank when i get home....i really want a reptile tank. Just a straight up trade.

Mitch

5. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

All those fish in a 55?? You got to have a serious filter system.

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Thats nice. :) Raider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. gofish

gofish claude

Awesome FEESH tank,I'd love to chuck a lure in there.

8. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Without a lot of cover and space dont those fish beat on eachother???

I have tried that before and 'ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE'

Newbreed

9. Newbreedfishing
    they all seem to get along good for me

10. Banker

Banker Banned

I really enjoyed the pics of your fish tank. Thanks for posting that. Those are some beatiful fish. For as many fish as it appears you have they look quite healthy and peaceful. How often do you change your water (and how much do you change at a time?). I used to have some tanks (55, 40 breeder) and can't wait until I get another. I think I'm gonna get a 90. When I do, I plan on stocking it and raising the next state record green sunfish (all its got to be is a pound)......

ps - I really liked your "even the little guys gotta eat" pic !

also, are there any fish at the bottom of the pecking order with really thrashed fins that always gets picked on, or do they all appear to get along? thanks gill, black crappie, largemouth, channel cat/bullhead?, painted turtle, perch?, sunfish, anything I missed or got wrong?

11. Banker

Banker Banned

I see you already answered my ? whether or not they get along...is that a rock bass under the turtle? I think I missed him first time around. also I could only see black crappie, do you also have white?

12. I have tried to keep small bass in an aqarium before and was wondering what type of filtration system you use, do you use water out of your sink or water from a lake or stream. What do you feed them? What water temp do you keep them at? thanks
    J

13. Any tap water from city or municipality must be treated with a dechlorinator. A good thing to add to any tank of natives is rain water, if you can collect it. For smaller non gamefish the best foods are frozen brine shrimp and blood worms along with freeze dried versions. You can also suppliment with live foods from the wild. Some fish like shiner and minnow species will avidly take flakes and small pellets. Gamefish will take anything really. I have feed goldfish, fatheads, frozen krill, frozen beefheart, nightcrawlers, pellets, so on and so on. Variety is the key to any diet for a native fish too.

Impressed with the density of your crappie and gamefish in general especially with them not having caved in stomachs. That must be one hell of a diet you have them on. I had a hard time keeping up with a few grass pike and I had an endless supply of fatheads at my disposal, they just eat that much. Ive found that always the biggest shortfall with gamefish is they become rapidly starved when people try and feed them relative to a tropical fish.

Filtration can vary and also needs to by the type of fish you have. I have multiple 55 gallon tanks before with various species of Sunfish, Logperch, Stickleback, and Muddminnow, and used only a hang on the back power filter rated for about a 40 gallon tank. Ive also had tanks set up for riffles and pools set up of the same size with double the filtration recommended and multiple powerheads to increase oxygen and flow. It all really matters on your fish load and their life history. 70 gallons and up I recommend canister filters and a small powerfilter just to agitate water at the surface.

Right now I am down to one tank (55 gallon) that does have or did have - Rosefin Shiners, Warpain Shiners, Southern Redbelly Dace, Shorthead Redhorse, Black Redhorse, Rosyface Shiner, Silver Shiner, Mountain Madtom, Bluebreast Darter, Rainbow Darter, Snubnose Darter, Greenside Darter, Banded Darter, Redline Darter, Logperch, Tangerine Darter, Northern Studfish, Northern Hogsucker, and Stargazing Minnow. If you havent guessed, I live in a place with alot more (and cooler) fish than Ohio right now. :rolleyes:

14. Central Longear (2), Spotfin Shiner, Rosefin Shiner, Northern Hogsucker

Attached Files:

15. Redline Darter, Greenside Darter, Gilt Darter , Shorthead Redhorse.

Attached Files:

16. dnm

dnm

thats an awesome tank!!!! Id love to do that :)

17. easternflyfisher

easternflyfisher BassHaveOvertaken

VERY cool. ive wanted to do this with a tank ever since i was little. very cool.

18. Check out NANFA.org - North American Native Fish Association

If you are in NEOH check out the Cleveland Aquarium Society webpage too. They team up with Ohio NANFA members and do a day trip collecting, surveying, snorkeling, the great fish fauna we have. It has been on the Grand River in the past and we have seen 40+ species of fish.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

That has to be the greatest thign I've ever seen. Man I felt like I was at Bass Pro Shops in Cincy!!!

20. Nice pictures and a beautiful tank!

I have a 150 gallon that is currently down. I have a large canister filter built into a large pump that keep all the water circulating. I also have a charcoal wheel filter on each end and 2 oxygen airators.

I used to go through a dozen goldfish and 3-4 dozen fatheads every week when it was up and running! They are very nice, but expensive also!