Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some time to get out and hit a stream that I’ve had pretty good success on in the past but I wasn’t sure how the fishing would be since a cold front moved in overnight. I decided to use my 9’ 8 wt instead of the 10’ 7 wt I usually use since the brush was so thick in this area. That turned out to be kind of a bad move. The 8wt has much more backbone that the 7 but the extra length on the 7 really helps absorb those powerful runs so much better. I had 2 bust me off using 8lb tippet. I use 6lb on the 7wt and very rarely have a break off unless they end up tangling up in something. Over all I landed 3 out of 5 hookups and a bonus largemouth thrown in.

The fly I’ve been having very good success on carp (and bass for that matter) is basically a black woolybugger with tiny dumbbell eyes tied like a backstabber so it rides with the hook pointed up. I trim the hackle to make it kind of bristly also.

the fly:

the fish:

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
Those are some great looking bronze trout....lol....I catch alot of those in the Tuscarawas River where I live using a #14 black wooly bugger fished on the bottom ...I will have to try your method of tying dumbell eyes next time I tie flies...did you catch those out of the Ashtabula river or Conneaute Creek by any chance ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some great looking bronze trout....lol....I catch alot of those in the Tuscarawas River where I live using a #14 black wooly bugger fished on the bottom ...I will have to try your method of tying dumbell eyes next time I tie flies...did you catch those out of the Ashtabula river or Conneaute Creek by any chance ?
Black buggers work very well also but i find these almost never hang up on the bottom (branches and logs are a different story lol). I tie these on #6 or #8 heavy gauge nymph hooks. Use the lightest dumbbell eyes that will turn the hook over. The eyes on the one in the picture are actually 2 3/16 tungsten beads on 25lb mono that i burn then ends on to hold it together. I think I'm liking them better than the dumbbells. Less splash and they ride higher off the hook so it keeps the fly point up very well with less weight.

Not the ash or the conny, the chagrin and some of it's tribs.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Black buggers work very well also but i find these almost never hang up on the bottom (branches and logs are a different story lol). I tie these on #6 or #8 heavy gauge nymph hooks. Use the lightest dumbbell eyes that will turn the hook over. The eyes on the one in the picture are actually 2 3/16 tungsten beads on 25lb mono that i burn then ends on to hold it together. I think I'm liking them better than the dumbbells. Less splash and they ride higher off the hook so it keeps the fly point up very well with less weight.

Not the ash or the conny, the chagrin and some of it's tribs.
Almost all good carp flies have that one thing in common: they ride point up. There's even a worm fly, sort of a modified San Juan worm, called McTage's Trouser Worm that is tied a lot like this bugger mod with bead chain eyes to keep it point up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts