close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A few basic ??'s on Morels.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bassnpro1, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I am planning on mushroom hunting for the first time soon, and I was wondering if it is possible to freeze morels? and How do you guys cook them up? Throw them in a skillet with butter? I know they can be found anywhere, but what general areas should I look in: hardwoods, thickets, fields fence rows, edges of crop fields? Thanks!

2. so I can't provide you with experienced info, but this site seems helpful.

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/morels/index.html

Ash, Elm, and Tulip Poplar trees are supposed to be the best in NE Ohio.
    Old apple orchards, along RR tracks, wet but well drained creek shores that have the above trees. (Mind you this is only what I've read)

Flathunter and Froggy seem to be experienced.

3. The best way is to deep fry the with some kind of breading on them, I like Uncle Tims the best ;) They are good sauted in butter and put on a steak or hamburger. You can freeze them but if you dont put them in a bag with water they will break and crumble very easy. You can also dry them if you have a dehydrator. They will get very brittle and you have to be carefull with them or you will have mushroom powder. When you are ready to eat them just soak them in water over night and then fix however you want. Its not very often have enough to freeze or dry or anything, I will eat them every day if I have enough.

4. Bassnpro1

I was just wondering b/c I am up here at OSU in the dorms, and have no way of fixing them up if I find any. Thanks for the info, I can't wait to find my first one!

5. I tell ya what, you go out and find as many as you can and give them to me so they dont go to waste! :D
    You could get a little fry daddy and do them up in your dorm. I used to have one when i lived in the dorms at Wilmington College and we would do cheese sticks and wings and all that good healty food.

6. Bassnpro1

I might have to think about that. We'll see.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Oh heck jus go into the woods & it if looks like a shroom then pick it, if it doesnt kill ya, it will onyl make ya stronger!

I'll be finding some w/in 3 or 4 days! I cant wait.

Jack, maybe I'll bring some for ya on the weekend of the 30th!

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Bryan if you hunt rooms like you fish for flatheads, I may be waiting along time :D

9. Just thought I would let you guys know I found 37 grays and 1 spike on Weds 4/21. All were very fresh. I hunted in the middle of the rain storm, which is one of my favorite times. :)

They were found 15 miles south of Springfield, OH. And don't worry guys - they'll all be gone as soon as I get home from work.

I like plain old salt, pepper and flour tossed in Crisco.

Bassnpro1 - I'm sure the early spikes are on @ Mock Park. Stay on the right side of the main path early. I used an electric skillet all year while I was in the dorms (Stradley Hall) @ OSU my freshman year. I even cooked sirloin steaks in my dorm room! :D

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Jack, you may be right!

11. Bassnpro1

Thanks for the update Fish-N-Fool. I am going on an Erie charter this sat. and sunday I will be looking for morels. I will let ya know what I find!

12. DHR

DHR

Hello
    I have 70+ acres of woods-streamsvalleys and farmland
    Is there any chance morels can be grown around this area
    Have never seen any and is it possible to start growing them in my area
    I live in the upper 12 miles of Lorain County
    Thanks

13. DHR, It' s getting close to huntin' time up north. I've been checking all of my early patches and they just aren't up yet. Next weekend should be good hunting. As far as your 70 acres goes....hunt both side of the stream bank in and around undergrowth among ferns, may apples, grape vines, ramps, trillium etc. Stay away of skunk cabbage patches because they are too wet (this year anyway).