close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"A Family Affiar"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JimG, May 6, 2004.

1. Sunset last night I was fishing the shoreline in Downtown Sandusky, just looking for Crappies.
    One area was a halfway where many folks walk along the shoreline to watch the sunset. At a halfway point there's a Mother Goose that is sitting on a nest of four egges just off the one side of the walkway. 99% of folks respect this Mother staying on the nest and walk off to one side as they pass. I have a respect with her and she allows me to fish the area, not getting to close.
    I noticed one Lady elderly lays corn on the walway as she passes and by the time I arrive in the morning the corn is gone. Many times I watch her as she sits so still as folks pass, never leaving her job of being a protecting Mother.
    Last night there's this 4x4 that pulls into the parking lot with the tape player so loud everyone took notice. Out jumps this man in his 30's and from the back of the truck jumps about a 1 year old lab. He did put a long leash on her and they started walking down the walkway.
    As the lab got near the nest he sensed the goose and the guy gave the dog the whole lease distance. He was all smiles and just that fast the Mother Goose was up and had the dog down on his side with her weight. Before the guy could pull at the dog out, from nowhere came the Male goose flying and hit the guy on the chest at a full fly in, knocking him off his feet. The guy and the dog took off at a full sprint away from the nest. The guy had the wind knocked out of him and it took awhile for him to get his balance. A few people clapped for the goose and as he passed me I asked if he was alright ?
    He said , if I wasn't in town I'd get my gun and show her who's boss ! I looked at him and said, Well, you learned why you should mess with a Mother and her surroundings and smiled. The dog has his tail between his legs yet as they passed and both the dog and guy kept looking back, still in shock what had just happened. Of course his final point was to burn rubber as he left.
    Soon after that, a couple went by the nest givning respect to walk to one side and the goose just sat on the nest.
    But I must say that was the first time I ever saw a male go after a human with such force and the Mother did fine work on the dog also.
    Kinda made my night.

JimG

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Great story, thanks for sharing

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Wow, would've made a great Funniest Home Video !!

4. Some people just don't get it...

Nice story Jim.

Carl

5. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

I would have paid to see that:D

Mitch

6. fishinchick

fishinchick The 'Chick!!!!

:D Great story! What a neat thing to witness! But what a stupid guy to even bother her in the first place! I know better than to chase geese.... I had one come after me at Kingwood Center once, flapping its wings and hissing really bad. I don't mess with them anymore. :D

7. Man, I would have loved to see that! Would have been a hoot :D

8. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us......Stretch

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

hahha that is too funny. There are some geese at Buckeye that already have their chicks hatched. I was hoping this wouldn't happen to a little girl who was chasing a mother goose around yesterday, luckily it didn't since the little girl didn't know any better.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

wow, thats really something! I never would have guessed the geese wouldve taken the fight to them like that....nothing makes birds so agressive as having little ones around (little birds)...

i have personally experienced the wrath of the robins that at first was cute making their nest in some hanging baskets on our deck. Once the babies were ready to take flight (which i didnt realize at the time), I was out on the deck, respectfully to the birds as always, and the 2 robins, and about 20-30 other birds started dive bombing me, it was something else! The young ones took off with vigor and we never saw any of them again.
    They must be able to call in reinforcements somehow. A whole bunch of black birds and stuff was flying all over the place right above my head. and I had to hit the deck!

While they were nesting my wife was even afraid to go out there. The robins would sit in the trees and neighbors roof and make "dive bombs" at us. She doesnt really care for robins too much anymore! But i was impressed with their behavior.

11. I'm thinking that could be a new pay-per-view special. That really would have been neat to see. I let me dog get close enough to geese by my house until they start hissing and then I pull her back. I can't believe a goose could take down a lab. The fury of a woman I guess. Geez.

fishintiger

12. catking

catking Banned

Great reading ! I remember a guy who hooked a small goose by accident. You should have seen him trying to get the hook out of it's foot, with the mother there :eek: CATKING