Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took yesterday off work to dedicate a whole day to fishing a creek I've had my eye on. BassAddict83 pulled into my driveway just after daybreak. I gathered the last of what I needed and we headed out to the creek. After a long drive, we pulled into the spot. We drove separate cause BA only had a few hours to be out. He came equipped with only his fly rod and some flies. I tied on a green pumpkin tube and we got to work- it was roughly 7am. The first spot we fished was a pretty small pool with minimal current. He got into a few sunfish and a small bass. I got into a lot of snags and a few really bad casts that ended up in the trees. I got one dink smallie in the process. After a frustrating 20 min or so, we moved on to the next spot.

The next area had some surprisingly deep water with nice current flowing into it. I flipped my tube just out past the drop off and bounced it across the current. I felt the hit and brought in a largemouth with little man's syndrome- he fought a lot bigger than he was. I was going to post a pic, but I didn't realize how small it really was. Didn't measure, but maybe 10-11".

We moved on the next hole. There were a lot of big rocks which of course always equals snags. I was working on getting my third or fourth snag out when the tube popped loose and instantly I had a fish on. It put up a great fight, especially since it was unexpected. I have never seen a spotted bass with stripes below the lateral line like this one. Side note: I never put 2 and 2 together as to why I seem to catch a decent amount of fish when I pop my lure out of a snag. It looks exactly like a distressed crawfish coming out from a rock. Back to the report. BA pulled in a few more sunfish and bass. I got a couple more dinks to bring my total to 5 so far.

The next area looked ideal for smallies. BA was running short on time, so he relentlessly threw his fly in hopes of some action. Nothing- the spot was a bust. He ended up with around 10 fish on the fly. We said our goodbyes and I moved onto the next pool.

I picked up a couple more 8 inchers and took a quick lunch break. I knew I had a fishing problem, but realized that it's worse than I thought. I ate quickly because I hurry to get back to fishing... During a 10 and a half hour trip haha. I had a lot of ground I wanted to cover and decided to get moving. I hit a lot of small holes and got 7 more dinks in some pretty skinny water. As I was on this stretch, I noticed that if I looked around, there was no evidence that any other human had ever been on this creek. Of course, I'm sure many have, but it was a welcome change from what I'm used to. I finally came to a nice big pool that looked promising.

I flipped my tube onto a big rock on the opposite bank and slowly worked it into the water. I felt it drop off the rock then immediately I felt a hit. I set the hook-it felt big. I fought it for about 5 seconds then poof, hook popped out. I had 2 other really nice fish on that got off: one on a leap and another one that cut across the current and took me into a snag. Mildly butthurt, I checked Google Earth to make sure I was moving along at a good pace, I wasn't. It was around 1:30 and the pace I was moving at I wouldn't be to my destination until around dark. At this point, I started to realize how tiring it is to walk on creek rocks all day. I also realized 4-5 miles seems a lot further walking a creek as opposed to a nice flat surface.

For the rest of the trip, I was hustling and passing up smaller holes to get to bigger ones. I came upon the biggest pool so far. I bounced my tube along the drop off once again and got into a nice fat 14" smallie. All these creek fish fought like absolute maniacs. I immediately followed that up with another smallie that went 13.5". Onto the final hole...

It was around 4:15 when I got to the final area; the spot I was most excited about. I did the same routine and pretty quickly had another 14 inch smallie on the board. I landed 8 more smallies in the area and worked my way back to the top of the pool, nothing of any size. I had already gone over the allotted time I had given myself, but I had to get back to the deepest area in hopes of a monster. Bounce, bounce, bounce, Boom- Fish on! I worked it in patiently and let her take drag. 30 seconds later the big fish of the day emerged. I set her on the steep bank for a measurement (bad idea), and she flopped right back in. I would guess she was 15". I ended up with 27 fish total with 5 being over 13.5".

I came out of the woods at 5:30PM. I was walking like a 90 year old man because my lower back was so tired. My ride was waiting and it felt like it took an hour to walk the last 100 yards. It was a hell of a day.

Pics are all screwed up and out of order.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Ive had a few of those drag yourself back to the car type trips. Even though your tired its usually the sign of a good trip. Sounds like yours was too. Couldn't you have BA's momma pick you up again?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man. It took way too long to write that report. Near the end of it, I thought it all got erased... If that had been the case, it would have probably been a 2-3 sentence report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts