Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent an invite out Saturday evening to a few friends to see if anyone was interested in a Whitewater wade at sunrise. With such short notice and most of the invites going out to a younger group of guys, I wasn't sure anyone would commit. (us old guys go to bed at like 6:30 pm unlike those young whipper snappers). I was going regardless but got a reply from Matulemj saying he was in.
Excited and nervous about bringing someone (especially an east sider) to my wading grounds, I readied myself for the morning.
My alarm went off much too soon for a Sunday but strong coffee and a big breakfast got me moving in short order ( in more ways than one) !
We got on the water shortly after sunrise to a spot I had not fished yet this year with water levels this low. We hit the usual fishy looking spots but nothing was willing to bite. Moving on down stream we hit a hole I've had luck catching hybrids before and we began our assault. Him with his fluke and me with a lipless crank. Things were still slow going. I had a few bumps but nothing held on.
I finally landed a small white bass but not at all what we were hunting for.
We moved to a spot that had good current and a long tapering point with deep water on both sides and cast away.
Matulemj got into a hard pulling fish but that's his story to tell....

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm showing folks new water, I'm anxious for them to get on the fish as much if not more than myself....
Nothing more to discuss at this hole, we moved on.
We hit another promising looking stretch but nothing came of it.
We packed up and moved a few miles upstream and hit a nice long run with a couple of solid riffles sprinkled in.
We set up towards the end of the first run we approached and again worked two different presentations. Again, I'll let Matulemj explain his presentation.
I was chunking crankbaits across the current to the opposite, grass lined shore. I finally caught a decent smallmouth on a craw colored crank. No giant but fun all the same.
Matulemj was catching smallmouth too but at one point, he got a BIG bite and a good fight was on. More on that later in his input....
The emerald waters of the WWR were not relinquishing the big girls we had hoped for and with stomached growling we agreed it was lunch time.
Over lunch we decided to make the haul back to Matulemj's side of town to hit some new waters for me.
After a quick pit stop at BPS and some $ lighter, we made our way east.
We parked our rigs and made our way to the river.
The place he had in mind was impressive. Where we entered the river, it was deep and wide. At the top of the hole was a nice riffle with lots of chunky structure.
We both began our assault and in no time we were hooking up and landing bass. The hole produced good numbers but that's the kind of day it proved to be....quantity over quality. A good day to be sure.
In closing, the cool temps and clear skies made for a great day to be out of doors and wetting a line, well, I can think of nothing I'd rather do than fish in those conditions.....
Here are a couple from my day....
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375855181.483882.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1375855197.698566.jpg

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Aye. It was a productive day to say the least.

The night before, HOUSE and I were at a well known hybrid spot and were able to see a group of shad in the water moving around and had a guy throwing a cast net show us one he caught. I found some Zulus and Flukes that matched its color and tried a few things out with it.

I ended up texas rigging the bait (shown below) with a 1/8oz bullet weight and "twitched" it in the water. I noticed that it flashed and looked identical to the shad "flash" we saw in the water. Instead of a traditional jig, I would twitch the bait with every rotation of the reel. It turned out to be very effective.

The first fish on in the foreign westside waters was a nice 20" hybrid.

We got into several other fish, including a slew of saugeyes.

As Co-Angler said, I lost a nice fish moments after we talked about how crappy it feels to loose a good fish. It fought like it had stripes. I had it close to shore and Co-Angler and I were walking towards it. Then just like that...It's gone.

Oh well. Now if I can only find/tie a fly that matches the shape and color of the bait I was using.

The day I was out with Co-Angler, most of the fish were right after the riffle. The next day I threw a black wooly bugger fly and found that they were directly in the riffle. I only managed to pull a bunch of dinks though.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
937 Posts
The only reason I never fish the WW is because some old guy told me there werent any fish in there:D. Looks like he is a liar. I might be heading up there soon.

Nice fish guys!

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
835 Posts
That guy was telling you the truth, no fish in the WW at all... The LMR is most definitely the place to be. That's why they left the WW and went to the LMR there are no fish in the WW. :D

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
strong coffee and a big breakfast got me moving in short order ( in more ways than one) !
Whoa...definitely TMI bro.

Those are some great looking fish guys, sounds like a great day. Well chronicled as usual.

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,373 Posts
Say what You may about the Whitewater, but in the past few weeks Ive rekindled my love for the cleanest and fastest moving river in the state of Ohio, wading in the rapids with eagles overlooking your progress is a good time, weather You are catching fish or not. Curious to what section of the river You guys fished, I am planning on fishing there Saturday? Ive done pretty good on small mouth and a few nice size lmb using tubes, I just may try that fluke, Ive got the same type which has been collecting dust in my box all year

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nice looking fish!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts