close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A couple trapping questions.

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by kasting king, Jun 30, 2007.

1. First I was wondering if anyone makes their own coon bait. The last few years I used cat food or processed bait, and just thought I could put some of those sheephead to good use :D

If sheephead are not good canidates for bait, what are?

My next question is about muskrats. I found a few places last year that were loaded, but it was late season and someone had already beat me to them. Yesterday I drove to check them out and found the water is about 5 feet lower than last year, and in some places competly dry. Once these places fill back up will the rats move back in? There is a decent stream a couple hundred yards away and I think they probably moved there.

Thanks for the help
    Andrew

2. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

as far the coon bait, all nasty smelly fish like chubs or shiners, or sheephead should work. the problem with those is you'll catch possums and skunks and pretty much everything else. if you want to catch only coon and not have to weed through the possums, use marshmellows. it doesn't seem like it would work, but in my coon sets, that's pretty much all i use. i've tried to use meat n things but the possums were getting annoying a $1 a pelt. so take marshmellows, put em back in the hole or wherever you would put your bait and tear them in half and stick some on branches above the set to spread the smell. also, if your trying to pull em off of a nearby trail, you can make a trail of marshmellow peices to lead them to your set. as far as buying bait, last year i used some fish oil the second half of the season and i doubled my catch. it's kinda expensive but its worth it. just put a little up high to draw them in, then us the marsmellows to get them into your traps. best of luck!

3. Thanks for the advice, anyone else????

4. I will 2nd the marshmellows. I found no better combination than peanut butter and marshmellows. Gets them everytime. Peanut butter draws them in and coons just can't pass on a marshmellow.

5. ReadHeaded Hunter

ReadHeaded Hunter Catchin eyes

never used peanut butter. ill have to give that a try.

6. The rats will move back in , but it may take some time. They are not huge fans of variable water levels. If they left that area, can you trap the creek that runs nearby or find the nearest body of water that is more stable (larger, deeper pond). Also, if there is a small creek nearby that has deep areas, narrow spots, & runs through farm land .......... jack pot !!! They won't go any further than they have to. Do some pre season scouting and find out where they went ....... those rats are pretty good money right now.
    Tim