close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A call to all OGF members,I really need your help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Orlando, May 28, 2007.

1. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I have been wanting to do something for some of our troops overseas and thought I would run something by you guys
    I found a website that will set you up with troops so you can donate items to them http://www.popasmoke.com/aas
    I sent them an e-mail and they set me up with the HMM-161 squadron, they have 110 men and 10 women. He couldn’t go into great detail about where they are located or what they do for security reasons but did tell me this. They are stationed in Central Iraq and they are a CH-46 squadron, which flies combat assault missions in support of combat operations in support of 11 MEF. Additionally they fly casualty evacuation missions. The Sgt Maj contacted me and gave me a list of items they can use, Lotion, Any type of skin cleanser, Foot products (powder, cleanser)
    Propel powder packets (drink mix) ,Phone Cards ,hygiene products,etc.
    My wife sells Avon and she could get the lotions, bud spray, shower gels, sunscreen etc. She would sell them at her cost (she would make absolutely nothing on them)
    This is where the OGF comes in. I would like to see if we as a group could get together and raise money so we could send a care pkg to all 120 soldiers. Shipping can be done in USPS flat rate boxes, I'm guessing shipping to be around $200.00 -$240.00 to send a package for all 120 soldiers. We figured up cost for a care package and it will be right at $20.00 per soldier and which will consist of, roll on deodorant, foot powder, antifungal foot lotion, lip balm, hand/body lotion, shower gel, sunscreen, bug spray. My wife and I will take care of packaging up the items and shipping them. If I have to I will cover the shipping charges myself, as I really want to get a package for each person.
    For the price of a fishing license you can help send needed items. No donation is to small any amount will help. This is really going to a good cause guys.
    If you have any questions or suggestions at all please contact me.
    detrick224@earthlink.net
    You can send a personal check or money order to
    Bill Detrick
    224 Pickrelltown Rd
    West Liberty,Ohio
    937-935-6349
    Please include your OGF Username with the donation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I'm in, this is a great task you are taking on. My check will be in the mail to you tomorrow. Thanks!

3. Great idea! I'm in. Check will be in the mail tomorrow.

4. I'm in. It's a small price to pay for the sarifices they make! Good way to show our support for our troops no matter how you feel about the war.

5. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I'm surprised that more members haven't responded yet. Chalk it up to the nice weather I guess. I can tell you from being deployed many times, care packages from home mean a lot to our men and women overseas. I have faith that many more of you will step up to the plate on this and we will support all 120 troops.

6. I'm at work or may not have seen it until tonight. (Shhh... huge grin)

7. Orlando, I'm with you brother! My M.O. will be sent tomorrow also. This is a great idea. Lets make the HMM-161 squadron (or is it the CH-16 squadron?) OGF's official overseas squadron. Is the pictures the troops we are helping?

Oh, Isn't it free mail service to send packages to troops over seas? I thought it was or use to be. Might want to check with the post office and see.

8. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Many ,many thanks to those that have responded so far. Yes the pictures are of the troops we are supporting,atleast thats the pictures that were sent to me anyways. Shipping isn't free ,I have sent packages before and always had to pay. Again, thanks guys and spread the word since this got put up as a "sticky post" some may have missed it. I usually miss those "stickys" even those it is at the top of the page. If you decide to donate please include your OGF username .

9. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I figured the "sticky" would help find it.
    Guys this is a great thing he is doing as someone that was in the service back in the late 60's I loved getting these type of care packages. Little things like this are taken for granted at times, but be in a war zone and you find out how much they are appreciated. The GI's getting these will not be able to thank you enough for helping out. maybe we can get them to send us a message that we can post here for all to read.
    Thanks Orlando - and I know many veterans that thank you also.

10. I think it's a great idea! I'll try to send something. Every little bit helps right?

My cousin, Robbie Harper, he was 40 yrs old. married his high school sweetheart. Had 3 children. Well Robbie he went to Iraq 18 months I think. you know what he did? long story short..my 7 yr old was diagnosed with cancer when she was 3 yrs old..same time roobie was in iraq. Robbie went and called her on the phone (never even met her before) then he set up a post card drop box in iraq and we received over 100 letters/cards from american soldiers serving in iraq. we gained publicity from local stations and columbus fox 28. One soldier even sent her a tv/dvd player, hat, bibles, etc all the way from Iraq. we are still in contact with a few soldiers. they are all home now. but I tell you what they loved getting our cards, and pictures and cookies etc. Some of our soldier friends came home, some hurt, some ok and some did not come home.

sad thing happened to Robbie. He came home and took his 6 and 13 yr old fishing. The 6 yr old fell in the scioto river and Robbie jumped in to save him. The child lived but Robbie died saveing his childs life.

where am I going with this story? I guess what I am trying to say is give kindly from the heart, pray for these soldiers and know that they all have good hearts. They deserve what ever we can give them. You don't know how hard they have it over there.

All my love to the soldiers. stay safe, stay strong and god bless!

11. orlando, will you be at the OGF event? if so maybe we could bring items there to you to send to the soldiers??

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

woodysoutdoors- Sorry but I won't be able to make the event. I just got back from a 9 day fishing trip to Lake Erie. While my wife is very understanding, she ain't that understanding! Any donation of any size is very much appreciated . I mentioned $20.00 will make one care package but don't want anyone to think they have to donate that amount. Any size donation at all is fine it all adds up. There have been 210 people view this post and only a few replys, come on guys we can do this if we all work together. Many thanks

13. Yea i'm kinda suprised there hasn't been more of a response yet but think once it get's rolling it'll snowball! I know I'm getting strecthed thin but this is one worthwhile cause. God bless America and the troops who defend Her.

14. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Orlando,

I would like to donate.

What is the time frame on this?

I think there are many that would like to donate to this cause. It's just a logistics issue of how to get the money to you easily.

As a possible solution, I (WE /OGF) would be happy to collect donations at the member appreciation outing at Mosquito next weekend and then forward the money to you via a check on Monday June 11.

Would that work?

15. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Lundy, That would be great, I really appreciate it. I would like to have all donations by the end of June. Thanks

16. I'm on board, I'll try to get a money order in the mail to you in the next couple days. I've always wanted to do something myself for all the troops but didn't know how to go about it. I applaud you for taking the initiative to make it happen. Thanks to all that are donating. To all that don't wanna, these men and women are giving there lives for mine and your freedom. Help out a soldier in need, they are all hero's.

17. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Just wanted to give a update. I just recieved a package from a group of 6 and 7 year old kids. They raised enough money to send the items below plus made drawings for the troops. We aren't going to be out done by a bunch of kids are we? Thanks guys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Will some cash in the mail work? I can send a little something but don't want to mess with a money order. Let me know and I'll send it out.
    Thanks for organizing this effort!
    Steph

19. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Cash is fine if you want to send it that way. I would wrap a piece of paper around the money though. Many thanks, I appreciate it!

20. Hi Orlando,

I put some money in the mail today. Be on the lookout for it.
    Thanks,
    Stephsgotbait