Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say. Its absolutely ridiculous the state wont let buisnesses take care of this goose problem. Launched the yak at Atwood this morning at Delroy. The amount of goose SH*T everywhere blew my mind. Its all over the roads, all over the docks. Id be extremely upset to pay good money to rent a dock for the season and have to step on all this crap. Its out of control and something needs to be done.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Hope you wiped your shoes before entering your vehicle. Way too many of those birds.

Reactions: Smitty82 and Lazy 8

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Geese come visit me a lot. I throw em some handfuls of feed corn. Most important thing is a high powered hose. I can spray off my pond edges in 5 minutes.unfortunately cant just get rid of them. I cant eat them all

·
Registered
718 Posts
The state can not do any thing. Water foul is a fedral thing. Yes. you are correct, they do make a mess. What about the people that use the city parks. Some of the school grounds are full of the crap. It does not seen like any one cares. Talk about comation and bactirea.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not 100 percent sure that the state can't do anything. I was talking to a fellow who owns a poultry processing plant. He said, in the past, he had processed geese that were rounded up in various park systems and the meat was donated to homeless shelters and the like. The problem was, he had to include a tag stating that since geese spend so much time on golf courses and farm fields where herbicides are used that consumption should be limited. He felt it was a good program but the warning label was a definite turn off. I don't think you could kill enough of them to solve the problem because they congregate where they want to. So scaring them away to the point of annoyance seems the logical answer to me. Perhaps this could be a new business for somebody. Who you gonna call? Goose Buster's!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was at Gordon Park a couple years ago, and the geese were all out in the water by the launch, and this guy pulls up in a pick up and pulls out one of those toy speed boats walks down to the ramp and shoos them all away with it. It was fun to watch.
Also there is a company that uses dogs(Border Collies) to herd them and shoo them away. I’m not sure how well it works, but for a quick fix seems like a ok idea.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They make a full size coyote cardboard decoy. Some say it doesn't work but one guy said it worked for him but secret is to move it every day or so cause the geese get used to it. He would have it near his docked boat and face it one way then turn it around, put it closer to boat, then farther etc. I know of one marina that shook the eggs in the nest and put them back and they don't hatch to cut the numbers.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Here in Independence we have a pond that the geese took over some years ago until they purchased a trained Border Collie now the population is about nil.They tried the boom sticks and blanks but the geese got use to that and would move to the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
They are dirty birds that have adapted to the urban landscape and thrived. They will absolutely trash waterways. I have had quite a battle with them over the years on our ponds. They think that they own the place. They trash the grass and water. My ponds stay clear until the geese show up, then they become turbid pretty quickly. The geese eat the grass down to the dirt and then I get bank erosion. I don’t like them at all anymore.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I have watched about a hundred of them scalp a couple soy bean fields the past 2 yrs after a factory put in a retention pond. Probably couple hundred yards by a hundred yds wide. When they cross the road it takes 10 minutes.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Lol call me mean but I hate it when a vehicle comes to a complete stop because of geese.
No I don't hit them. But if you move towards them slowly they will move out of the way much faster....
I to wish they would get on top of the geese numbers...

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dog (Labradoodle) was the goose dog for a local (central Ohio) golf club for quite a few years. The club had a permit to destroy the nests because federal law prohibits it otherwise. I agree they are a huge problem, but don't get caught harming them including shaking the eggs. The fine is $5,000 - $15,000 with possible jail time.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do not remember the out come on this. Some years ago, there was a article in the Canton Reposerty, and some heated discussions in the letters to the editor, about all the geese crap in the people yards, around a lake in town. The people that were against thinning the geese out, need to have the mess in there yard, to see how they would like it. Seems like the geese move in and keep comming and there is nothing any one can do about it. My question to this is, let it be known, all levys for the parks will be voted down, untill some ting is done about the mess. Money still talks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts