Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
NETT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fish the gold coast area today first trip of the season. First I would like to thank Queen Bee and Timex for the good number on that active pod of fish. We pulled a 3 man ticket and one OH cat fish 4 OH walleyes. It was a all day thing the only consistency was the fish were high in the water column. GOOD FISHING NETT

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was out Sunday morning for 6 hours north of rocky in 49-51 ft. We ended up with 8, all 18-23 inches. Marked a lot of fish. Seems like bigger fish out deep. We were able to work an active area with winds being low. Got 2 on harnesses, 3 on deep cranks, and the rest on big spoons. Boy/Girl spoons, perch cranks and watermelon harnesses. Trolled from 2-2.5 mph. Surprised we didn't get many junk fish, one big white perch. Got them for most part all deep. We couldn't get anything up high except 60 back crank on inline board. Most were deep. Folks out deeper were getting them up high. Still some garbage out there so keep an eye out. Our dipsy's snagged a couple sticks and either we were getting pull backs or hitting debris because it looked like a fish hit it but pulled in nothing several times.

On side note the rocky river ramp is a mess with all the kayakers and I'm a kayaker. When we got back at noon it was like someone puked kayakers all over. There was 4 cars that just stopped on the lane to get to the ramps loading/unloading kayaks(that blocked one lane just getting your boat to ramps), 2 girls parked on the grass next to the loading area of the ramp. A group of folks putting their straps on for 2 kayaks in the recovery back-up parking spot of the ramps(which I was able to get my trailer and get the boat out by the time they were done). There's just no consideration to anybody but themselves. Last week I saw a couple block a ramp to load/unload while they pumped up their kayak. I got my trailer, loaded my boat up and parked in the parking lot to put straps on and the couple was 1/3 done pumping up the kayak. They need someone down there letting these folks know what to do. Now boaters are just as guilty of not caring about their surrounds too. I wish boaters when putting there straps on they pull into a parking spot. When we pulled our boat out to go park it, there was one parking spot left because a guy just pulled his boat up(not park it) and blocked 4 spots. So not only was he blocking a lane to get out of parking spot but blocked 4 spots to park. Then he decided to have a conversation the whole time with other folks while blocking everybody, again we were done putting our straps on and had to go around the guy blocking traffic. BTW, he was a fishermen. Usually you just see this with the pleasure boaters. Seems like a lot of new boaters at the ramps and I offer help for everybody. We've all been there so I cut them a lot of slack. I nicely offer advice to the kayakers too but too many of them. lol

Please take note of your surrounds and how you are impacting the ramps/parking lot. I'm thinking of putting some videos out on how to launch and recovery your boat. I could do hours of video on what not to do with just one day at rocky. lol

Thank you,
Frickster

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,203 Posts
On side note the rocky river ramp is a mess with all the kayakers and I'm a kayaker. When we got back at noon it was like someone puked kayakers all over. There was 4 cars that just stopped on the lane to get to the ramps loading/unloading kayaks(that blocked one lane just getting your boat to ramps), 2 girls parked on the grass next to the loading area of the ramp. A group of folks putting their straps on for 2 kayaks in the recovery back-up parking spot of the ramps(which I was able to get my trailer and get the boat out by the time they were done). There's just no consideration to anybody but themselves. Last week I saw a couple block a ramp to load/unload while they pumped up their kayak. I got my trailer, loaded my boat up and parked in the parking lot to put straps on and the couple was 1/3 done pumping up the kayak. They need someone down there letting these folks know what to do. Now boaters are just as guilty of not caring about their surrounds too. I wish boaters when putting there straps on they pull into a parking spot. When we pulled our boat out to go park it, there was one parking spot left because a guy just pulled his boat up(not park it) and blocked 4 spots. So not only was he blocking a lane to get out of parking spot but blocked 4 spots to park. Then he decided to have a conversation the whole time with other folks while blocking everybody, again we were done putting our straps on and had to go around the guy blocking traffic. BTW, he was a fishermen. Usually you just see this with the pleasure boaters. Seems like a lot of new boaters at the ramps and I offer help for everybody. We've all been there so I cut them a lot of slack. I nicely offer advice to the kayakers too but too many of them. lol
It is ALWAYS a Gong Show on weekends ... most of those folks are beginners w/no sense of anything but havin fun 👺 we have seen numerous close calls and almost involved in a couple ourselves ... the paddle boarders are even worse, they're falling in the water in the middle of the channel and yucking it up while boats are dodging around them 😡 and God forbid you say anything to them, it's their ramp too you know 🤬 so what there's 4 boats in line to launch and 3 waiting to get in but let me clog a lane or 2 because I'm too lazy and clueless to carry the 50 pound kayak 50 feet 🙄 what folks need to do is have a lick of common sense, but that's likely way past their pay grade 😵 aren't you supposed to have a permit to launch at the ramps? a boat is a boat and a trailer is a trailer, the traffic there is heavy enough, if you're using the ramp you should get the permit, they pass out tickets to boat trailers in the parking lot w/o it ... somebody should be checking ...

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,557 Posts
As much as I love fishing from my power boat and kayaks, I'm learning that summer time boating sucks nowadays unless you get out super early and go home super late. Lately, I've been just avoiding crowded places all together. The older I get, the more "ignorant" people annoy me lol. Plus when there are a crazy amount of people on the lake, fishing is tough. So I just adapt and go to places most people won't venture to because of inconvenience.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,941 Posts
I warned the MetroParks staff about this when they said they were going to start charging but not have anyone policing the ramps. All paddleboarders and kayaks should have to use the old ramp with no parking. Put a sign up to show them where. They have plenty of space there to D!ck around all they want. I'm glad I only use it twice a year for put in and take out. Shouldn't the MP call a news station and have them do a piece on how to use the ramps for boaters and personal watercraft? Someone is going to get seriously hurt then it will be too late.

Rickerd

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think a good win-win is to have a designated lane or a launch for kayakers at all of the popular boat ramps. I know as a kayaker myself, I'd appreciate that, and OH requires a boating permit on all kayaks. I agree though with the sentiments being express that people (both boaters and kayakers) seem a lot less self-aware these days. I know I'm very conscious of the etiquette of putting in and taking out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Aren’t they supposed to use the atro turf area by the courtosy dock?
I dock at emerald necklace but pull my boat out while in a while to clean it up.
Ive seen what you’re describing. It just ignorance and lack of direction unfortunately.
I love when they clog up the mouth.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think a good win-win is to have a designated lane or a launch for kayakers at all of the popular boat ramps. I know as a kayaker myself, I'd appreciate that, and OH requires a boating permit on all kayaks. I agree though with the sentiments being express that people (both boaters and kayakers) seem a lot less self-aware these days. I know I'm very conscious of the etiquette of putting in and taking out.
This would work until there was a kayak taking up that particular launch then the next kayaker in line would just go to the regular boat ramp...just saying

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,203 Posts
This would work until there was a kayak taking up that particular launch then the next kayaker in line would just go to the regular boat ramp...just saying
well DUH, didn't you know that kayakers are special 🤣😜 it's a small boat, why should they have to wait ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think if they had someone work there for a couple weekends explaining what to do that would educate the majority that go there and help the situation. IMO.

I always thought the last 2 lanes was for the kayakers but seems like the rent a kayakers use that only.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So what solution do you propose?
I think having their own place to launch is an excellent idea as long as it's away from the regular ramps and is enforced
That way there isnt a reason to tie up a ramp with a kayak
But if they are right next to each other you will still have the same issues you have now

·
1,941 Posts
Ticket the kayakers using a dock meant for boat use only! They aren't paying the ramp fee so make them pay when they inconvenience those people who are paying it.
The CMP is failing to establish and maintain order like every other government agency right now.

MORE GOVERNMENT IS NEVER THE SMART ANSWER TO A PROBLEM. Set up a private management of the ramps just like the snack and bait shop.

Duh!

Rickerd

·
1,941 Posts
Triple J,
I just noticed I have 1 less post than you do.

Now we are even. LIke it really matters.

Rickerd

·
Registered
935 Posts
I always remember the dock master at vermillion ramp

don’t know if they still use one but I think a lot of retired guys would work as dockmasters as a supplement

at conneaut they usually have people to keep things in order also

·
Registered
274 Posts
Found this interesting:

Agree that if there's an additional ramp fee at a certain launch that everyone, including kayakers, should be paying it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts