close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

a ? about when people say "keepers"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

I guess I always assumed that when people say "they caught 4 keepers" it means that they were of the legal size (and probably threw them back, but not necessarily). Is keeper a term people say mostly to give others an idea about how big the fish they were catching or does it usually mean they actually kept them (I don't think this is the case most of the time, but I could be wrong which is why I am asking). thanks

2. Banker

Banker Banned

in rereading my post I think I just answered my own ? (ie 90+% of the time they actually keep and eat them)- but please confirm and/or talk about. thanks (don't get me wrong people have the right to do whatever is legal and I respect that-I like to keep, clean and eat my fish on the occasional occasion also).

3. catking

catking Banned

Hey Banker- Alot of times this is what " Bassers" say and it pertains to legal size bass only. They don't keep them persay. But panfish guys also say this at times and they usually mean they keep them..... same with 'Eye guys... Carpers & catters do not use this term ......... That's my take on it for what it is worth .... ;) ... THE CATKING !!!

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yep...can be both ways. I know guys who fish stripers & Hybrids in the river & they claim to catch "7 keepers" which are all released, but are over 15" long. The ones under 15" don't go on the count.

5. To me it means that it was a good size fish and is worth keeping to clean and eat. Now does this mean that they kept them? No, but it also doesn't mean they released them. But this is coming from a C&R (for the most part) guy. So when I say it was a "keeper", I mean it was big enough to be worth taking home to clean. But I still release it.

6. That is one that is heading for the frypan. :D When I toss a large walleye back I don't call it a keeper. :)

7. peon

peon account delete

i bass fish and a keeper is a 12 inch fish or bigger.. meaning its big enought to keep for a weigh-in for a tournament..... never heard the term used any other way.... and the keeper fish are ALWAYS C & R

8. Interesting question. I almost never keep fish to eat but I do describe catches as keepers if they were legal and decent looking. For example a 9" panfish that has ulcers all over it and bleeding fins is not a "keeper" to me. This spring I caught about 40 keeper crappie and brought home the best looking 15 for dinner. I ate my Fish Ohio crappie on Memorial Day. :)

9. Banker,

Just remember that there are a lot of keeper bass in Ohio. For instance, most Ohio waters are 12" limit, meaning you can keep fish over that size. Lake Erie is 14 or 15 inches, I can't remember, some one help me out here. And there are still other lakes where bass are protected by slot limits, meaning fish between a certain length and another certain length are protected and must be returned to the water immediately unharmed. Tycoon Lake is a good example, where I think fish under 18" must be returned unharmed. I think Knox Lake is as well. I know I have been to Tycoon and it is not unusual to see a DNR guy by the ramp. And they will check your livewells.

Eric

10. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

On C.J. a "keeper" is a 15 inch Walleye. We use the terms "keepers" and "short fish" or some variation of that. While a lot of those are actually kept, the term only means that it was big enough to keep. I keep some and release a lot. I also don't keep fish under 16" or over about 20" on C.J. although they are totally legal. While there are 10 pound Walleyes in that lake, a 3 - 4 pounder is rare enough that I like to give them a chance to get bigger. There are plenty of fish in the 16 - 20 inch range to fill the frypan.

For the Bass guys a 12" fish is a keeper. I have no idea if they actually keep them on C.J.

MC

P.S. I have NEVER seen ODNR check a livewell at C.J. but I think that most guys respect the limits. Because we are often jigging close together other people see what you catch and there is peer pressure to obey the rules for those that are tempted.

11. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

I think for most muskie fisherman a keeper is at least 50” unless they already have one that big on the wall and then it goes up from there. :B

12. Okay, so if you are fishing a lake with a slot limit and catch a fish outside of the slot limit on the high side, does that mean you can't say you caught a keeper. Just food for thought.

Scott