close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

90hp Mercury Idle prob

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Boomer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. I have a 90hp Mercury outboard. It is a 2 cycle motor and it is only one season old. The problem I am having is the idle. It idles fine then all the sudden it will sputter out. Its so annoying to start it over and over. I had it out tonight and idled fine just out of the ramp, but when I turned the motor on later that evening it didnt idle well at all. Again I have no problems starting the motor, and it runs great at quarter speed, half speed, and full open. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

how old are the plugs. i change mine every 2 months . could be the oil your useing also.check your plugs for fouling. adjust idle up slightly if needed. under warranty, take it back!

3. I agree with freyedknot. It should still be under warranty. Take it back to where you bought it and let them find the problem. It could be the old gas in your tank from last year. I hope you treated your gas last fall especially with a two cycle mix....JIM

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

90% of the problem with a motor the first of any season is old gas. Drain the gas and refill with new. Always treat your gas with sta-bil at the end of the season. I've done that for years and never have a problem. I re-fill with higher octane at the start of the season and runs fine.

5. Thank you for all the suggestions. I have decided to just take it back in and have the dealer look at it. I pulled the plugs they looked good, and I did treat the gas last year. I was actually on my second tank this year when it was acting up. Its under warranty still and I thought since it is my first boat I might be overlooking something.

Again thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate it !!!!

6. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

If it was your second tank by all means take it back to the dealer. Sounds like something else. It could still be bad fuel, but being new don't take any chances.